Dilemma - your input please!

Name
Robyn
Edit My Images
No
Right then - I've been bashing my head against a brick wall for days now over this one and I'm now keen to see what decision others would come to.

As you are aware I'm in the process of changing lenses on my 30D. I've invested in a 70-200mm f2.8L IS. The next purchase for definate is a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 - I figure this will make a useful "everyday" lens and having done a bit of reading I can't justify the extra cost for the Canon version. Enough pros use the Sigma to make me feel happy with that choice. The dilemma arises over the wider end. My long-term aim is to upgrade to a 1-series body - most likely a 1Dmk2N or whatever it's current equivalent at the time may be - keeping the 30D as a backup (and the the other half to use) and selling the old D30. However, that is AT LEAST a year away, maybe more. My current wide angle lens is a Tamron 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 which I love, BUT I have a hankering to go that little bit wider.....

So - do I:

1) Stick with the 19-35 for now, until such time as I do upgrade the body. The advantage to this is that it does at least work on both my current bodies without any problems (Digital only lenses have big problems on the D30 body as it's too old to be designed to take them - EF-S lenses won't even physically fit on!) the disadvantage being that whilst wide, it's not THAT wide on the 1.6x crop sensors. Then as and when I do upgrade the camera body, can look to buy the wider lens at that stage (Or not, as I won't have any cash left!)
2) Buy a Sigma 12-24mm lens now - adavantage being it will indeed give me that bit of extra view, and will work on either body. Disadvantage being that I keep being told it's an old-ish lens now and may be up for a redesign. Am I going to kick myself if I buy it now and then in six months time they do something radical to it? (Like make it easily suited to front filters, for example?!)
There was originally a 3) - which would have been to buy a Sigma 10-20 now, which would work a treat and be fabulously wide on the 30D, but would probably not work too well on the D30, if at all. I think I've dismissed this option now though TBH - it simply doesn't seem worth buying a lens for what might only be a years use, when I could either settle with what I have, or could buy something now that is - atleast mainly - future-proof.

Sorry to be repeating an ongoing theme chaps - I can't seem to work out for myself which is the better option on this though! :bang: :shake:

You can probably guess my view on this - relatively unchanged;)

12-24 now cos it's future proof :)

I was kinda expecting you to reply on this one Jonny! Cheers for that. I'm going to collate the various verdicts once the thread has run its course and (in theory anyway!) buy on the strength of it!

Just call me Mr Predictable ;)

Back