Directing the model

Cris_L

Take That's Biggest Fan
Name
Cris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm really struggling wih directing the model/subject, weather its an experienced model, a kid or even the misses my mind just goes blank as to how want them to pose.

i tend to find i'm fiddling with the camera and realise ive not said a word to the model or given him/her any direction whatsoever.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get past this?

cheers

Last edited:
Stop fiddling! You have to know your camera inside out - be able to operate it with your eyes shut - forget it - and give the model all your attention.

You have to start with the end. :)

What do you want your image to look like? How does it need to be lit? Where does your model need to be relative to the light?

Then it's down to fine tuning, an arm here, a hand there.

I always make sure my camera is how I want it before starting. Saves fiddling at all ;)

And if I want to change anything it's usually only one or two clicks to do it.

Hi.
Consider asking the model what they want to get from the session. How would they like to be portrayed? What is their best look? This may get them and you more relaxed. You may get some inspiration from this and could lead them on to how you would like them to look etc........

Chris-L, it sounds as though you are just turning up and hoping inspiration will rain down on you from the sky....it won't!

You need to make some decisions BEFORE you ever see the model. Some ideas of the kind of thing to think of beforehand - to get your mind going:

High key or low key?
Narrow side light or broad light?
Narrow depth of field and only one eye in focus, or f8 and be there?
Tight crop to face only, or head n shoulders, or full length?
Sat or stood or lying down?
Clothed? If so what......
Nude? Semi nude? See idea above.

Now you can sit down and make a list of ideas of what you want to achieve. Remember, it is far better to achieve ONE GOOD PHOTOGRAPH than a whole card full of crap. So with that in mind, really focus your thinking, not just your lens. Get some ideas in your mind of what you want to do - unlike other people I disagree with going looking through others work for ideas, don't go searching like that. Better by far to open your mind and get some pictures in there, when you get an idea WRITE IT DOWN. I have a little notebook and pencil (quaint, in today's iPatch world, I know, but it still works and it is instant!) which I carry with me all the time. If I get an idea, whether for a picture a pose, a feature idea, a sales idea...anything, I write it bloody well down. If I don't, I forget it. You do the same - for picture ideas for when you have a model.

Give yourself a brief. You have a model coming, do you know which sex beforehand, if so that narrows down the thinking. What about making some abstract aptterns from the body and shadows? That works too.

Just asking us for "what do I do with a model?" is like asking us, "what career should I go into when I leave school?"
My answer will different to AliB whose will be different to AWP etc.....

Forget the camera and lens. That is the problem. Most photographers get hung up on the kit....it is the IMAGE that matters, not the blasted box and bottle.

One "rule" you could try is to ensure each limb is defined. No BLOBS. A blob is where the bodyshape is lost. Get your wife/girlfriend/significant other to just go through some "poses" at home - no camera at all, just your eyes and squint to see the effect. Move an arm across the front of the body and see how it gets "lost" and becomes a blob...now move it out and put the hand on the waist so the elbow makes a V out to the side of the body....now look how much more "shape" there is to the body suddenly.

Pleasing poses often incorporate triangles (that V of the elbow is a triangle!)
Bent leg = triangle.
Sat on floor leaning against wall in L-shape = triangle.

Chris communication and planning are the key here.

Never go into a shoot not knowing what you intend to do or you will be struggling and the sitter will get fed up. Have your ideas firmly set in your head or make sketches when you think of them, I always have a pad handy for this reason. It does no harm to look at other photographers work for ideas, also do some research on you tube for posing ideas.

To get the best out of any subject you need to talk to them and direct them, make them feel at ease in front of the camera if they are not used to having pictures done. Once they feel relaxed nice images will follow. Obviously your confidence will grow with the more experience you gain, but we never stop learning, something which makes photography so great.

Good luck

Thank you guys, some excellent answers there! will make some notes of what you have said and try and get an idea in my head before I next shoot.

Back