Dirt in new-used lens, what to do?

Edit My Images
No
Picked up a used lens from a reputable used gear retailer a few weeks ago, it arrived just in time for a holiday, the only time I had to test it was literally mount it up and check it talked to the bodies, took a few shots, was happy that it focussed right, so packed it and off I went.

As soon as I started using it it became clear it has dirt & a hair inside it, which shoes up in every picture. Its not on the sensor, and its not on front or rear elements, is somewhere in the depths of the lens.
Anything portrait the marks stand out like a saw thumb as they sit right in the sky.
I think they effect focussing as it struggles to focus on anything sometimes, anything atall very occasionally! When its focussed on anything more than 5m away its back focussing, i.e. focussing a bit behind what its confirming its focussed on, which means i have to check and re-check every shot for focus (time consuming and frustrating!).

Whilst away I took the lens to two seperate people, 1 a pro tog who has more kit than most shops who suggested I return it straight away or could chance a cleaning. the second the best camera shop I could find who had a good look, couldn't find a focus problem when tested in the shop but said there was nothing that could be done with the dust as they thought it was maybe within a sealed part of the lens and where had I bought it.

I've got two bodies, a well used 20d (10k shutter actuations, but its been everywhere) and borrowed a mates 450d (as a digi backup body), the problem shows on both cameras (both dirt & back focussing at distances). and a third body, an eos300 as an af film body, it mounts & commuinicates but its a cropped circle lens so not really worth shooting with it on this body.

It was sold as 'as new - immaculate' and I paid near new price for it delivered.

My question is, what should I do? The lens was sold with a warrenty, but as I know too well, warrenties often aren't worth the paper they are written on. How should I approach the retailer in order to solve the problem with least time/hassle/complications. As I've never come across a situation like this before.
I want the lens back, or the same model but a different example, as I love what the lens does. Its just not much use if every shot I take is stained with dirt :bonk:

What you are seeing in photos is dirt on the sensor. It is not dirt on or in the lens. It is impossible for any of that to be in focus. If you check your photos, you will find that the affected ones are all taken at a high f/number which makes the dirt show up. Sorry, but that's not a lens problem. There may well be a few specs of dust in the lens, but they are not the ones showing up in your photos.

Can't comment on the focusing issues without knowing more. What lens is it?

A hair on a middle element of a lens can show up. I dismantled an old Minolta lens to clean some fungus. A small hair got caught between 2 on the elements and I did not notice it until I took some test pictures. When you manually opened the aperture and looked through it, you could just make it out. When i dismantled it again I found and removed it.
If the OP has tried the lens on 2 different cameras and is getting the same mark in the same place then it is probably in the lens. Can you post up pictures from both cameras ?

A hair on a middle element of a lens can show up. I dismantled an old Minolta lens to clean some fungus. A small hair got caught between 2 on the elements and I did not notice it until I took some test pictures. When you manually opened the aperture and looked through it, you could just make it out. When i dismantled it again I found and removed it.
If the OP has tried the lens on 2 different cameras and is getting the same mark in the same place then it is probably in the lens. Can you post up pictures from both cameras ?

A hair anywhere in or on the lens cannot show up. Lenses don't work like that. You cannot see the diaphragm blades either!

If the OP post pictures with the same lens on different cameras, the marks will be different.

No its defanatly in the lens, it shows up exactly the same on both digi bodies. Its not in focus, and you can see it clear as day on any blank surface or against sky :(

You can see the dirt thru the viewfinder in the same place aswell lol.

Will get some pics up tommorrow evening to show it.

On their website they've got a 7day return clause, which is now well past, but then it would have been impossible for me to send it back, at least safely so ~

No its defanatly in the lens, it shows up exactly the same on both digi bodies. Its not in focus, and you can see it clear as day on any blank surface or against sky :(

You can see the dirt thru the viewfinder in the same place aswell lol.

Will get some pics up tommorrow evening to show it.

On their website they've got a 7day return clause, which is now well past, but then it would have been impossible for me to send it back, at least safely so ~

1) No it isn't.

2) No you can't.

3) No you won't.

:D

No offence bud, but the dirt you can see in your photos is on the sensor, and the dirt you can see in the viewfinder is on the underside of the focusing screen, above the mirror.

The fact that you also have dirt there is clear evidence that dirt has been getting into the camera, probably when changing lenses.

ARGHGH!!

OK will get some shots up tommorrow to show it.

Okay. I'm out 2moz though :(

On the focusing issue, what focus points are you using, what kind of subjects is it having trouble with, is it exactly the same on other cameras, and what are other lenses like on your main camera?

And what lens is it?! If it fits a film camera it's not a Canon lens and some Sigmas etc occasionally have misfocusing problems. The manufacturer can recalibrate it no problem (y)

Then clean your sensor and viewfinder ;)

Where are you from? He says it shows up on both bodies so that should be it. Or was it you who sold him the lens.

In theory it cannot be the lens, but ... if he's seeing it in images from 2 different cameras...

No need for people to get stroppy...

We'll need to see those images with all the exif data showing they come from 2 different cameras please...

coul dbe that he is trying to put a lens on his camera rather than a lens but you never know lol

you'd not see the hair but you would see an area thats slightly blurred. same thing happens when I get a hair on my glasses too close to focus but I can see it.

There's a thread on here somewhere showing images from a camera with a totally smashed UV filter attached - if broken glass doesn't show (apart from a slight change in contrast across the image), then it's doubtful that a hair inside a lens will show - a slight degradation of quality maybe, but actually seeing it? nah...

Guys, I have seen this happen myself to one of my lenses, not a friend of a friend of a friends lens.
I have also seen the threads where FRONT elements are damaged and still show reasonable pictures.
We are talking about something different here.

ARGHGH!!

OK will get some shots up tommorrow to show it.

That was the day before yesterday ;) I'm not trying to prove anybody right or wrong here, just stating facts. Which are:

Dirt on the lens, or anywhere in the lens, is invisible in photos.
Dust marks in photos is dust on the sensor, usually only visible at high f/numbers.
Dirt seen in the viewfinder is dirt in the viewfinder. Nowhere else.

HTH :)

Yep...get some shots up please or I'm calling BS on this thread...

Back