Displaying images from International Football Matches

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone shed any light on the rulings around showing images from England internationals? I have tried looking on the FA website and some google searches but cant seem to find any T&C's around these types of games.

Official line from the FA photographers agreement is:

The use of Photographs for or in connection with the items listed below shall not be permitted without prior written consent of The FA (some blah blah in brackets)

(h) Artists Reference otherwise than for news or editorial purposes

I guess that's a no then!

Not sure, although taking into account the Welsh leagues at least are less stringent, I would presume that goes for the Welsh FA too. The Irish are fine about it :)

It was once explained (rather loosely) to me as "If you display a player in his international strip his countries FA will complain, if you display a player in his club strip his club will complain and if you display a player in normal (civvies) street clothes his agent will complain"

Just about covers it I think?

Why not sell them, then people can see your work

This is of course my aim at every game or else i wouldnt be doing it but as you well know this is a very competetive business and its not always that easy.

Also lot of what goes to print is goals and cele's and a lot of good action stuff can just be lost in the archives! It would be nice to be able to show some of this to others but rules is rules!

Last edited:
I agree James and would much prefer to see a crunching tackle or 2 players fully focused on getting to the ball than a guy running off with his hand in the air (how many different Alan Shearer or Tim Cahill celes can you photograph without them looking the same?)

Also lot of what goes to print is goals and cele's and a lot of good action stuff can just be lost in the archives! It would be nice to be able to show some of this to others but rules is rules!

Its a shame so many good pics go to waste between us all.. but thats what its all about.. you either get one or if your lucky a couple of pics published in the paper.. or they never see the light of day.. what a waste :( I took around 300 pics the other night and probably got 2 published (not been sent my tearsheet yet) the rest are useless... stock not much good from a night match at vauxhall motors...

what about things like pre-season friendlies... for instance if Accy played Man Utd? can you flirt those around to all and sundry or is that a no-no too?

also... surely you (could if you wanted to)print some out for yourself and put them on your own walls / albums at home?

Last edited:
also... surely you (could if you wanted to)print some out for yourself and put them on your own walls / albums at home?

I have a couple of pics of my kids i took... but litrally just a couple and nowt else printed out of mine.... even though I guess you where being silly..

Any pics taken at a premiership, championship or league ground you cant publish on the web... doesnt matter what level of football it is..

The only acception seems to be womens football... nobody gives a monkeys about them, least of all dataco

Back