Disposable Camera Challenge

I'm in, it was fun last year

I'm sure I've still got the disposable camera I bought for last year's challenge and I didn't get round to shooting.

Ooooh I'll definitely have another go, I enjoyed it last year! Maybe I should try and get one of those black and white ones this year... but then again, Boots buy-one-get-one-half-price deal will probably win me over!

oooh maybe this year I will get something vaguely useful!! :LOL:

Serendipity. Just found a disposable waterproof camera in the cupboard, and the dates coincide perfectly with my summer hols. Fun in the pool / sea / rain! :)

I've still got the other one I bought at the same time as the one from last year.

do they do a "proper" B&W film disposable ? (I've no colour chemicals left - at least not in a usable state anymore!)

Rollei do one, I used it last year and it was ok.

Illford do one with HP5, but I know your feelings on that, I think they do an xp2 one as well. Might be easier just to get a colour one and hand it to the supermarket for a couple of days.

I'll be up for it too. Might get one of the Ilford ones too.

Just a reminder, the single use camera challenge starts soon! Thread called something like The Idiot Bheind the Lens... daft me forgot to copy the address before posting this, but it should be in the first post in this thread by Mark...

I did and the end results did not meet the commitment of the originators.

I did and the end results did not meet the commitment of the originators.

Haha :( I suspect mine will be likewise. I love the principle of the challenge and ultimately it's all in the name of fun - can't complain about that!

Indeed, it is a disposable camera... The results are inevitably going to look technically naff. That said, it simply wouldn't be feasible to ask everyone to go out and buy an acceptable quality film compact...

for me the whole challenge is to consider the shortcomings of the camera, and select a subject where they will at least not ruin the shot, and ideally (though it was far beyond my meagre imagination last time, and probably this time as well) that they could actually enhance the shot... that's where the bit behind the camera comes in - an area I've ALWAYS been sadly lacking in I'm afraid.

(and I've just realised I've been to the supermarket this morning and forgotten to pick one of these up AGAIN!)

I've been to town 4 times and have forgotten to pick one up every time, including 3 visits to camera stores and walking past Snappy Snaps! Enjoyed the fun challenge last year and got a rather nice shot during the process.

I found that the Boots D&P&CD was inexpensive and provided files of the right size for the forum (in the LoRes folder). Still haven't got round to scanning the decent negs for "proper" prints!

Finally remembered to get one today. After last year 's effort I know to only take pics when it is sunny . . .

The whole idea sounds interesting to me but I have just one worry regarding home developing. What are the chances of being able to get a disposable camera apart, the film out and loaded on to a spiral in a changing bag?

you can dismantle the camera in daylight - the film starts out unrolled, and as you expose and wind, it winds into a standard 35mm can. So, you break the camera apart in dayligt, and process the 35mm film as you would normally - winding it onto the spiral in the changing bag.

better still - if you're really careful, you can even re-load the 35mm canister that came out of the disposable with your choice of film, and re-assemble the camera (though that DOES need to be done in a darkroom/darkbag - you put the film into the space in the camera, tape the end to the spool from the disposable's canister (iirc they have serrations/teeth on the spool for the winder take-up to use) refit the spool into the canister and put it back into the body. Then re-assemble the body (they usually snap together) and you could have a disposable camera loaded with Velvia or acros 100 or..... (wanders off to check the film box and see what B&W is in there.......)

Thank you Mark. This sounds like a project; first priority is to get a camera as cheaply as possible. I wonder what Snappy Snaps etc do with all the used ones?

They'll probably give you one if you ask but the cartridge in my boots one was very slightly different from a standard 35mm and bodging something with having an original might be tricky.

As I said on the other thread, Maxx Speilmann as single use cameras for £5.99 inc processing, or (apparently) two for £10. And someone else said they would cancel the prints and throw in a scan to CD for the same price!

Argos has Kodak 400 ISO ones for £2.90 or so, and I was fascianted by some of the Rollei ones from the big purchase sites, including Crossbird which has E6 film intended for cross-processing with C41...

Back