Disposal of exhausted fixer

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok guys, what do you do with yours?

Used developer I flush down the sink / toilet waste as from what i understand it isn't much more damaging than many household detergents ( if i am wrong here then do please tell me!!)

For stop I use water so no problem there.

When it comes to fixer, I find myself holding it back in containers as I know it holds a silver content which is not good for the water system / environment.

I have asked at local labs if they will take it off my hands but as they send all film away for developing, their reply is one of " not our problem" attitude.

I've been in the cellar today and realise I need to get rid....but how, and where is the question.

So, .............How do you dispose of your exhausted fixer ????

Dunno, don't process these days, but this might be useful:

http://www.envocare.co.uk/hazardous_waste_oil.htm

Basically dilute it lots and put down the drain.

I seem to remember, somewhere back in the dim and distant past, that combining the waste chemicals produced something harmless - could that have been Cibachrome chemicals? Or maybe my memory has nothing to do with photography.

Dunno, don't process these days, but this might be useful:

http://www.envocare.co.uk/hazardous_waste_oil.htm

Basically dilute it lots and put down the drain.

I seem to remember, somewhere back in the dim and distant past, that combining the waste chemicals produced something harmless - could that have been Cibachrome chemicals? Or maybe my memory has nothing to do with photography.

Thanks for the link.

The diluting down drain seems to be the obvious way but to me it seems " not right".

I realise that as amatures we produce very little waste in comparison to commercial labs etc bt all that "little waste" adds up to big wastes does it not?

The combining of chems to "neutralise" them is the dev and stop iirc.

You can theoretically remove the Silver from the fixer by putting some Steel wool in the exhausted fixer and leaving it for a few days. The Iron will displace the Silver in the fixer and you can filter the Silver out as it will be a small precipitate at the bottom of the bottle..

Note - I haven't tried this properly but it should work.

Last edited:
You can theoretically remove the Silver from the fixer by putting some Steel wool in the exhausted fixer and leaving it for a few days. The Iron will displace the Silver in the fixer and you can filter it out.

Note - I haven't tried this properly but it should work.

Presumably then the liquid left over is no more harmful than the developer and can be drained away??

Any idea how long the steel wool needs to stay in the fixer for ??

Presumably then the liquid left over is no more harmful than the developer and can be drained away??

Any idea how long the steel wool needs to stay in the fixer for ??

In theory yes.

I'd give it a few days, you should see the reaction taking place so check on it a few times and when it seems to all be finished, pour it away.

In theory yes.

I'd give it a few days, you should see the reaction taking place so check on it a few times and when it seems to all be finished, pour it away.

Well it's certainly an idea to try ....... maybe I could start a jewellers shop...... eventually!:D

Interesting idea, can you do anything useful with the leftover silver or are you left with the problem of disposal of that? Granted that is probably easier than disposing of it in liquid form.

It can be purified and melted down if you have enough of it.

I've had a back of the mind project for ages to try and electrolytically recover the silver, mostly for fun but also to keep it out the water.

I'd say stick it in a plastic bottle and dispose of it in the landfill, there should be controls to prevent any thing leaching from the land fill to the water supply.

Well as I understand it fixer is actually also a lawn fertilizer, not sure whether that holds true once it's full of silver! I should probably test a patch...then sell the mineral rights to that patch!

Well as I understand it fixer is actually also a lawn fertilizer, not sure whether that holds true once it's full of silver! I should probably test a patch...then sell the mineral rights to that patch!

That ^^^^ made me :LOL: (y) :D

how about evaporation ? maybe pour the fixer into an open jar ,in a well ventilated place ,and leave it till it dries out

not my words below

"
Evaporation is another option for managing waste photographic solutions. The wastewaters are collected and heated to evaporate all liquids. The resulting sludge is collected in filter bags. These bags can be sent to a silver reclaimer for recovery. The major advantage of the evaporation technique is it achieves "zero" water discharge. This method would be useful to operations that do not have access to sewer connections or wastewater discharge. A disadvantage is that the organics and ammonia in the waste solution may also be evaporated, creating an air pollution problem. A charcoal air filter may be necessary to capture the organics. Filter purchase, disposal, and electrical power add to operating costs. "

or do what i do and send it down the bog :D

You could set up a solar drier for it, I considered playing with this but am missing certain prerequisites (the clue is in the name and my location). Put waste fixer in a large shallow container black container, place a thckish plastic cover over but leave some breathing space. Find a place out of any strong wind but in direct sunlight. Wait a few days and the water will evapourate off. The plastic will help keep the heat in and the cold air out but still let the sun in.

how about evaporation ? maybe pour the fixer into an open jar ,in a well ventilated place ,and leave it till it dries out

not my words below

"
Evaporation is another option for managing waste photographic solutions. The wastewaters are collected and heated to evaporate all liquids. The resulting sludge is collected in filter bags. These bags can be sent to a silver reclaimer for recovery. The major advantage of the evaporation technique is it achieves "zero" water discharge. This method would be useful to operations that do not have access to sewer connections or wastewater discharge. A disadvantage is that the organics and ammonia in the waste solution may also be evaporated, creating an air pollution problem. A charcoal air filter may be necessary to capture the organics. Filter purchase, disposal, and electrical power add to operating costs. "

or do what i do and send it down the bog :D

You could set up a solar drier for it, I considered playing with this but am missing certain prerequisites (the clue is in the name and my location). Put waste fixer in a large shallow container black container, place a thckish plastic cover over but leave some breathing space. Find a place out of any strong wind but in direct sunlight. Wait a few days and the water will evapourate off. The plastic will help keep the heat in and the cold air out but still let the sun in.

Mmm evaporation / solar drying could be an idea ..... unlike you steveo, I have the necessary prerequisites available(y)

Got more than enough dead fixer to try both this idea and the steel wool ...... I'll play about and let you guys know how i go on.

If all else fails and i get balled off with it all then a "bog deposit" :D could be in order!

Well the way I look at is:- unless it nuclear or mercury and probably a few other toxic wastes that I don't know about...I'd consider what volcanoes have done to the earth for millions of years, things like sulphuric acid rain that have killed people and the hundreds of meteorites that rain down on the earth each year and the earth copes...So OK as an individual it is up to you for your views, but I wouldn't worry putting it down the drain, as even if the water is recycled it would all be filtered out for drinking water same as water contaminated with human body waste......h'mm what chemicals and bacteria come from that. :eek:

Back