Dissected 20D

Its just amazing how much they pack into these little plastic cases. Just shows you what a little bit a salty water can do though, all that corrosion :(

Wow, there's some detail in that. Just imagine the assembly process.

Makes you think how much goes into something that costs just a few hundred pounds.

And it really goes to showhow much damage a little salt water can do.

Fascinating, I'm looking forward to the pics of when he puts it back together. ;)

Fascinating, I'm looking forward to the pics of when he puts it back together. ;)

I think that a bit of wire wool and a can of WD40 would have sorted it, but alas he's attacked it with a dremel so I have a sneaky feeling it might be knackered :crying:

Apparently it was dunked at the start of a holiday and died immediately. It was 4 weeks before it was picked up again.
It was then sent to canon and returned as unrepairable. After the insurance bought him a 30D he took the dead 20D apart....

When I got images back from mine due to slight water leakage I thought mine was a nasty sight. That thing looks like it lived during the war!! That is just a really bad case of corrosion

Advice to anyone to whom that might happen is get it out of the water immediately DO NOT switch it on, remove all batteries immediately. Take it somewhere warm and dry and if you can open it up to let any moisture out and help it along with some kitchen roll. You may just be lucky and the camera is not dead.

The other thing of course is to make sure your insurance covers it just in case :)

:agree:

But, if its been for a swim in the sea or in swimming pool water, rinse it out with fresh water. This will prevent the salts from causing further corrosion once dry.

Back