Disturbed geology

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
One from my recentish trip to Pembrokeshire. I loved the stressed nature of the geology and the shapes made in this outcrop at the end of Marloes Sands. Beautiful place, kind of makes you want to stay!

Shot with a Rolleiflex T on Acros 100 developed with rodinal 1:50 for 12 minutes. Either a yellow or orange filter.

All C&C welcome!

Pembrokeshire Acros and Rolleiflex T July 2012-12.jpg by menthel, on Flickr

Like that very much Jim...the textures of the rock and the tones.

I used to walk the hillsn dales and coastlines all over the UK when i lived there although I typically headed north!....some fascinating geology to be found and as you say, often you don't want to leave when you find these places .......

Thanks Asha. My folks are originally from that part of the world and I miss going there. It was my first time back in probably 20 years! Will be going back though.

I like this compositionally, i think it could do with a bit of a contrast boost though, seems to be quite flat to me

robhooley167 said:
I like this compositionally, i think it could do with a bit of a contrast boost though, seems to be quite flat to me

Thanks rob. This was a "first cut" as such, getting the images presentable and in a state where I found them pleasing. I will try a higher contrast look with it and post it up. I have plans to sit done with the best of the films I took (2 more to develop) and really give them some pp to see what can be made of them.

Jim, I agree with Rob, compositionally excellent but I would like to see a bit more contrast. Looking forward to seeing your final cuts.

Andy

Andysnap said:
Jim, I agree with Rob, compositionally excellent but I would like to see a bit more contrast. Looking forward to seeing your final cuts.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

Mmmm I actually prefer the original version tbh ....the rocks in the centre foreground are too blown out for my liking and you have lost detail in the clouds but if you like it then that's what is important!

I think a little contrast to the original maybe like the others mentioned wouldn't harm....somewhere between the two results I guess.

If you look at my work, I tend to go darker rather than brighter ...just a personal preference that appears not to be the norm!

Last edited:
Thanks. I really do need to put an order together for printing at some point! Shame I can't wet or digitally print at home- no space for an enlarger or a printer capable of decent B&W prints.

Last one is a cracker Jim.

Yeah I like the last one think it works really well, shows detail in the rocks with a nicely balanced sky.

Top quality work Jim, I think you've got the balance spot on with your final version.

Thanks Nick. Very happy with the rolleiflex, it may be the "budget" version but the lens is good and the ergonomics make taking pictures simple and fun.

Pembrokshire is a geological wonderland. It's special for a number of reasons but for me it is because the effects of two periods of mountain building (the Caledonian and Variscan Orogenies) are found next to each other hence the abundance of folded and faulted rocks.

Here endeth the (geology) lesson...

Mike

Pembrokshire is a geological wonderland. It's special for a number of reasons but for me it is because the effects of two periods of mountain building (the Caledonian and Variscan Orogenies) are found next to each other hence the abundance of folded and faulted rocks.

Here endeth the (geology) lesson...

Mike

That goes beyond my A-Level geography knowledge! Now the Fulani tribe of northern Nigeria on the other hand...

Back