Dixons to end 35mm camera sales

Edit My Images
No
From BBC News. Original story here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm

Dixons to end 35mm camera sales

High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital cameras.
The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the current stock of the film cameras runs out.

Marketing director Bryan Magrath said the decision was a "sentimental event".

"35mm cameras were the first products we ever sold and film processing has been a part of our lives for several decades," he added.

Click link above for more.

no real market for Dixons in 35mm sales, they push digital on people all the time, leave film to companies like Jessops etc

Hmm, but do Jessops do much in film anymore?

SammyC said:
Hmm, but do Jessops do much in film anymore?

Very much so, at least online. Most of their stores stock a fair range of film SLR's and a few compacts but they will take orders for almost anything with 35mm, a lot of medium format and even Wista large format gear. They also stock one of the widest ranges of film available on the high street.

Unfortunately Dixons has always been a 'mass market' business. It sells what it can sell alot of, and with high profile advertising (ie TV).
I don't think it would be financially viable for a company like Jessops to advertise 10% off all ISO 400 film this coming weekend on prime time national TV.

I suppose the ending of Dixons selling conventional camera stuff fits in with their business model.

Not that I buy from Dixons anyway (except my Hoya UV filter, for 9.97 :D)

Back