DIY beauty dish (new pic added)

Name
adam turner
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi made a beauty dish just gave it a quick try here`s a pic of the little lad C&C welcome....

IMGP8615.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a lovely smile he's got!

As a mummy i do have an urge to mop up his dribble though!:LOL: If it were mine i might be tempted to clone it out but thats just my preference. Maybe next time have something to give him a quick wipe with handy. I know how fast they can drool!

Also perhaps his skin tones could perhaps do with being a little brighter -maybe a very slight tweak in curves - not 100% sure on this though, would have to try it.

I do like it though.

Anna

Anna, your children portraits are brilliant, can you tell me what processing you use on yours or is it a trade secret? lol :)

cheers Ali!
No secret, i only started using photoshop (or any processing really) in Sept so i'm still finding my way round.

A typical process would be:
Smart sharpen, bring in the levels if necessary, use a very slight s curve, adjust contrast and brightness until i'm generally happy. If the skin still looks a bit greyish i will make a loose selection around the face with a 80px feather and bring up the selection a bit more in curves.
Sorry, i guess i just fiddle till it looks right to me :LOL:

Anna

Last edited:
i wanted more crit weather my dish worked or not...ie lighting etc.....but thxs for the comments...

OK, from a tech spec, I'm not so sure that it has to be honest. There is a lot more light on his chin than on the top of his head and there appears to be a lot of fall off of the light on both sides of his face. Perhaps it was pointing a bit low?

Hope that helps

I think it works very well. The lighting's nice.

How did you make it?

The dish is made from a large lamp reflector about 14 inch in diameter and i made a reflective disc out of alluminium heres a pic of it with the flash going off...

IMGP8611.jpg

top job, is it one of the plans from the internet or one of your own doing?

basically just copied the one i use when i go to the studio goin to make a few improvemnets over the weekend.

Just made an alteration to the reflector in the beauty dish tried it with the daughter this time i had a flash on the white backdrop the processing might not be to everyones taste but i like it C&C welcome...

IMGP8656.jpg

Adam its difficult for me to comment on the images as im looking on a well dodgy laptop screen but I recently got a 40cm beauty dish for my elinchrom lights and have done a fair bit of research.
1st thing to do is point the dish to a plain will and take a shot close so that you can see how the fall off is working and hot spots etc.
Ive also read a lot the people consider a dish without grid to be pretty much similar to an umbrella.
you also need to shoot with a dish between 1-2times its size to maximum distance for them to work best, it looks like you have it to far away, im only guessing by the catch lights but again crappy small laptop screen dosnt help me.

If I can post or share any tests with my dish which isnt an expensive one but I do have a grid for it then let me know.

Back