DIY Mini studio (light box)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
So I made a mini studio, otherwise known as a lightbox. I used plexi boards, 35x35 cm. I taped them together using somekind of wide white tape into a cube with one opening.
The top panel is slightly offset so at the back is a little slot to insert backdrops easier (and eliminates having to gum up the back board with tape). I use clotheslines pins to hold the backdrop up from outside the lightbox.

2778224233_c01932dce9.jpg

The plexi gives a more evened lighting than cutting out a cardboard box and if need be, I can tape tissue paper or engineering paper on the plexi to disperse even more light.

2779080168_dd3f62289d.jpg

The pieces that were left I taped to the back of the cube in order to create a spot to attach my clip on lamp. I had to reinforce it with a few strips of plexi but it holds just fine.

2778224829_03f66bb9d1.jpg

My finger is pointing at that slot (more or less). The top panel is offset. This makes everything so much easier if I want to use a different coloured backdrop or put in material. It's 'drop and play'!

2778223965_6b252d8019.jpg

And finally an image from 'the studio'. I did put this through some photoshop, but awesome pictures come out if you just set the white balance to tungsten or similar on the camera. I also used an SB600 flash pointed at the "studio's" ceiling for this shot.

And my lightbox set on flickr if anyone wants to view slightly larger photos.

I forgot to add that the plexi is 2mm thick. does the job nicely and looks way way better than a cardboard version (and of course works better)

I am very impressed Markk. With all this wet British weather I made one from a cardboard box on the weekend and the results are great but I like the advantage of your "drop & play" card slot. Very hand indeed.

One question. For shots with a black background, do you find that there is too much ambient light given that you have used plexiglass sides? ....or thinking about it while I am wrighting this, would you just mask the inside of the box? (making it not so drop & play?)

Really good results you have there!! Is there any chance of seeing the pre-PP image just for a rough idea of what is achieved? :)

I am very impressed Markk. With all this wet British weather I made one from a cardboard box on the weekend and the results are great but I like the advantage of your "drop & play" card slot. Very hand indeed.

One question. For shots with a black background, do you find that there is too much ambient light given that you have used plexiglass sides? ....or thinking about it while I am wrighting this, would you just mask the inside of the box? (making it not so drop & play?)

The amount of light can be controlled by moving the lights back or adding engineering paper (by means of tape) to the sides to reduce it further. Eventually you could add normal A4 paper or even cover it up with a cloth. I did some quick shots with a black material background but haven't really tweaked around with it. I'll get some going tomorrow and get a more in-depth look at it.

Really good results you have there!! Is there any chance of seeing the pre-PP image just for a rough idea of what is achieved? :)

Sure thing. But I'll have to post it tomorrow as I'm on the laptop and the wife has occupied my desktop and it's starting to get really late.

As promised, here's the original untouched photo the way it came out of my camera in jpeg.

2780438981_049e1d2f86.jpg

And for the really interested, here's the picture in original size.

I like that!

Where did you buy the plexi board from?

I like that!

Where did you buy the plexi board from?

I bought the plexi from a company that does company logos/billboards (among other things). I guess the easiest thing to do would be to go to the nearest shop or store (or similar) with such a sign and ask where they did their signs and try phoning that place.

I could give you the contact details of the Polish place I went to (as I'm in Poland) but I have this strange it won't be very useful ;)

Back