diy ring flash

Name
keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Basically this is a question for flash in the pan or one of the other petrol heads. I want to make a ring flash using the air pan from a car. On this basis rather than spend days trawling the scrap yards do any of you know of a vehicle with the old style centre fit for carbs about twelve inch diameter.I can then use the netto source The idea being take off lid replace with flourescant light diffuser, foil on the inside and replace intake with box tube off extractor to fit flash head. Pack between lens and body with foam. Ive only been able to find biscuit tin types up to now.Cheers for any help

This isn't answering your question directly, but Amateur Photographer have an article this month on how to build a DIY ring flash.

Thanks Aberal will try to pick one up and give a coat of looking at.(y)

This isn't answering your question directly, but Amateur Photographer have an article this month on how to build a DIY ring flash.

Do you know what issue, as AP is weekly, wouldn't want the OP buying the wrong issue.

This one! http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/magazine/current.php

It was annoying - but I've just forked out sixteen quid, SIXTEEN QUID!!!! on a plastic diffuser for my flash, and they showed how to make one from an old plastic milk bottle!

:bonk:

There's plenty of stuff in Poundland too that can be modded to do the job.

To the OP, if you want to use an air filter housing then one from an old mini/metro/allegro etc with a single SU carb like so

445811705_4310be9d98.jpg

should do the trick.

Must have a look and see if I have one lying around ;)

Slightly OT but is It a good magazine for beginners?

I've found it to be one of the better mags as it doesn't fixate on re-hashing "how to do" stuff in Photoshop like the Digital SLR mags tend to. OTOH if you need to learn Photoshop then one of the digital SLR specific mags might be good for you. Horses for courses really. To be honest though, if you want to learn stuff, hang around this forum for a while - you'll learn more that any mag will ever tell you.

Having spent a lot of time in designing and making add ons for photography I can only suggest its well worth the effort.
1/ safe sync
2/ preflash eliminator for those troublesome two and three flash cameras.
3/ front flash for fitting to the lens for macro work.

Back