DIY star/sky tracker

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone built their own star tracker? I'm just getting into astrophotography but clearly need a tracker of some sort. I have seen lots of plans and ideas for a barn-door tracker and have started going down that route, my plan being for control to be provided by a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and a stepper motor, both of which I already have. However, I am unsure about the Python code for controlling the motor speed.

If anyone has done this before, I would be very pleased to hear from you!

Thanks.

If you are shooting Milky Way landscapes or constellations just buy a Move Shoot Move.

Plans and ideas are all well and good but you try using something you've made on location....? Probably a royal pain the butt!

If you are shooting Milky Way landscapes or constellations just buy a Move Shoot Move.

Plans and ideas are all well and good but you try using something you've made on location....? Probably a royal pain the butt!
Well, yes, on the one hand I could just go out and buy an MSM, but on the other I have all the basic kit to hand and a workshop equipped enough to build it in with some accuracy. Some fantastic results can be achieved with a home-made barn-door tracker and all I need to work out is how to code for the motor controller.

I don't expect it to work perfectly straight out of the workshop and there will be a period of trial and error, but I am looking forward to the challenge and reward of achieving something so far removed from my work and career.

Well, yes, on the one hand I could just go out and buy an MSM, but on the other I have all the basic kit to hand and a workshop equipped enough to build it in with some accuracy. Some fantastic results can be achieved with a home-made barn-door tracker and all I need to work out is how to code for the motor controller.

I don't expect it to work perfectly straight out of the workshop and there will be a period of trial and error, but I am looking forward to the challenge and reward of achieving something so far removed from my work and career.

You'd be better off asking the question on an astronomy forum where some people really will have made a barn door tracker, rather than a photography forum where everyone will have gone out and bought a tracker. Astronomers are usually happy to share knowledge.
Apologies if you already have.............

Yes, as I said I fully get the'making it yourself' thing. I really do. In all my years massing with cars & the house & building my own fireplace because we didn't like anything we found last year. Building curved metal framed tables because again we wanted something different...

I also shooting from locations rather than at home - I guess that's where my 'easier to buy something' came from as the MSM takes up about as much space as a prime lens.

Good luck - I would be interested to see your progress with it :)

I did think of building my own and saw a couple ideas below I could build up on

In the end just bought a MSM simply because some other tinkering projects caught my fancy and those I couldn't buy "off the shelf" unlike a tracker.

Interesting project. There’s got to be python library that’s suitable on github something like this? https://github.com/gavinlyonsrepo/RpiMotorLib use that to rotate at 0.25 degrees per minute and align with the North Star it should work, no?

Personally I’d buy the MSM too.

Interesting project. There’s got to be python library that’s suitable on github something like this? https://github.com/gavinlyonsrepo/RpiMotorLib use that to rotate at 0.25 degrees per minute and align with the North Star it should work, no?

Personally I’d buy the MSM too.
Thanks for the link - I'll try it out.
Yes, as I said I fully get the'making it yourself' thing. I really do. In all my years massing with cars & the house & building my own fireplace because we didn't like anything we found last year. Building curved metal framed tables because again we wanted something different...

I also shooting from locations rather than at home - I guess that's where my 'easier to buy something' came from as the MSM takes up about as much space as a prime lens.

Good luck - I would be interested to see your progress with it :)
I'll post some images (of the tracker!) asap. Thanks. :) Oh, and hats off to anyone who can build their own fireplace!

Could anyone tell me what the second-hand going price is for one of these?
Rabbit hole incoming...
I bought one on here... basically you are looking at about 20% discount I think...
In fact I think I might know someone selling one (they have upgraded to a larger tracker) if you are interested.

I bought one on here... basically you are looking at about 20% discount I think...
In fact I think I might know someone selling one (they have upgraded to a larger tracker) if you are interested.
I’m interested, can’t wait to see that on the classified section :)

For a new one they have a Halloween sale on….

I did see that yes.... I think I'll end up getting a new one.

This might be the first time I'm looking forward to winter nights! :)

You can use discount codes from a few of the night sky photographers such as Alyn Wallace. It might be 10% but I think it's more likely 5%

Not sure if that applies on top of any sale though.

You can use discount codes from a few of the night sky photographers such as Alyn Wallace. It might be 10% but I think it's more likely 5%

Not sure if that applies on top of any sale though.
I've ordered one, couldn't resist. I got a further 10% off the sale price by signing up to the newsletter.

Sorry Dogwatch for hijacking your thread! Look forward to trying this out and seeing peoples images

Please post some images. I will be really looking forward to seeing them. ;)

Excellent set ;)

Thanks. Mainly wanted to show the image quality difference between the tracked Stonehenge and for example the Portland Bill images from the previous year.
Just thinking about doing some astro photography and keen to learn , could you elaborate what the MSM is and how it helps and suggest a good recommendation for one if they are a game changer ?

Just thinking about doing some astro photography and keen to learn , could you elaborate what the MSM is and how it helps and suggest a good recommendation for one if they are a game changer ?

Well, it's a star tracker, so it allows you to take longer shutter speed sky shots at a lower ISO so you get more detail and much cleaner images.

I'm not sure what you mean by a good recommendation for one?

For me personally, it's worth it for the benefits.

Well, it's a star tracker, so it allows you to take longer shutter speed sky shots at a lower ISO so you get more detail and much cleaner images.

I'm not sure what you mean by a good recommendation for one?

For me personally, it's worth it for the benefits.
Thanks Lee , I meant there must be more than make / model available on the market so would you recommend a specific one ?

Thanks Lee , I meant there must be more than make / model available on the market so would you recommend a specific one ?

I only shoot lightweight, landscape, wideish angles so I went for the Move Shoot Move.

There are more heavy duty ones though if you want to shoot heavier gear or deep space stuff.

I'm interested in a MSM. They offer a basic kit, also extras of pointer and polar scope (for a bit more money).
Are these extras worth it?

I'm interested in a MSM. They offer a basic kit, also extras of pointer and polar scope (for a bit more money).
Are these extras worth it?

For me the Z/V mount is really worth it. Makes it so much easier and quicker to setup.
I bought the scope in hopes that I will use it one day especially using is tele primes where larger accuracy is needed.
For the (ultra) wide angle stuff the laser pointer is good enough.

I am also thinking of ditching the laser pointer for a phone mount which seems even easier to work with. Perhaps less accurate but for UWA stuff once again its probably good enough.

For me the Z/V mount is really worth it. Makes it so much easier and quicker to setup.
I bought the scope in hopes that I will use it one day especially using is tele primes where larger accuracy is needed.
For the (ultra) wide angle stuff the laser pointer is good enough.

I am also thinking of ditching the laser pointer for a phone mount which seems even easier to work with. Perhaps less accurate but for UWA stuff once again its probably good enough.
Well, as said, you need either the laser or scope (or phone mount) to be able to align.

thank you both for this helpful info.

Back