Do disposables use 35 mm film?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am trying to get hold of some cheap film to put through an old camera to test if it still works. As I will probably want to sell the camera and it probably isn't worth much I don't want to spend much testing it. I have been shocked at how much film and processing is now.

I have looked round the 'pound' shops locally and non of them do film. I have seen cheap diposables though. I wondered if they have ordinary film cartridges in whether it is possible to dismantle them and use the film?

Yup they have a standard 35mm films inside. I used to do a lot of work for FotoProcessing, remember them along with Klick and Max Spielman.

They used to break open the camera and process the can of film inside as normal.

Be aware if they have a flash to watch where you hold them when they are apart, some of them can give you quite a shock if you get hold of the flash area.

It will be extremely difficult to do that as a majority don't feature a rewind knob so unless you are taking the film out in a darkroom then who knows how much of the roll will be exposed whilst you remove it. Even if it does have a rewind knob it would be guesswork as to how much you'd need to rewind it before winding the film leader in and having to extract it with a special tool.

Just get some cheap film like Superia 200 off the internet from 7dayshop or somewhere for a couple of quid including postage and get it processed in Asda or Tesco for about £2 then you have not spent too much.

Yes, they have normal 35mm film.

There's a couple of things you need to bear in mind though.

1. When the camera is unexposed, the film is wound out of the cartridge, and each time you take a shot and wind on, you effectively rewind the film. To get the film ready to unload, you need to shoot it (or mess about in a changing bag), when shooting all the exposures, though you need to stop light entering the lens, either by sticking some insulation tape over the lens or doing it in a dark place. If the camera has a flash, though they sometimes seem to have a life of their own.
2. If the camera has a flash, be careful, when charged it can pack an unpleasant bite!

It's possible, but not necessarilly recommended on practical grounds. If it's just testing the camera, you'll have to work out whether any light leaks were caused by the camera you are testing, or the disposable you took the film from or your extraction procedure.

It will be extremely difficult to do that as a majority don't feature a rewind knob so unless you are taking the film out in a darkroom then who knows how much of the roll will be exposed whilst you remove it. Even if it does have a rewind knob it would be guesswork as to how much you'd need to rewind it before winding the film leader in and having to extract it with a special tool.

Just get some cheap film like Superia 200 off the internet from 7dayshop or somewhere for a couple of quid including postage and get it processed in Asda or Tesco for about £2 then you have not spent too much.

At the risk of wasting good film and the remaining stocks, 7dayshop have some ISO 200 Sensia Slide film at £5.49 a roll including developing by post at the moment (as it's just test shots, slide film should be good enough to see any major problems).

Is there none in Poundland at the moment?

ETA I should have read your post.... my local Poundland has it in sporadically... usually 200 and 400 ISO Kodak.

I am trying to get hold of some cheap film to put through an old camera to test if it still works. As I will probably want to sell the camera and it probably isn't worth much I don't want to spend much testing it. I have been shocked at how much film and processing is now.

I have looked round the 'pound' shops locally and non of them do film. I have seen cheap diposables though. I wondered if they have ordinary film cartridges in whether it is possible to dismantle them and use the film?

Poundland shops do Kodak Ultramax 400asa 36 exp for £1 and Kodak colour plus (I think that's the name) 200 asa 24 exp also for £1. (y)

Back