Do I, don't I ???

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like I have sold my 350D, and I have a buyer for my grip. So with a small top up from me, I have about £300 in the photography fund. (I'd have a bit more if somebody bought my 70-210 f4 !!)

Which brings me to my dilemma. I fancied a Sigma 10-20, but have been thinking about a 580EX II flash unit.

If I went with the flash, what do I need to take it "off camera" and maintain the functionality ? I know that there is the "wireless" controller "ST2" that's about £100, but is it worth it, or will the hot shoe adaptor and cable be a "less expensive" route...

I have the Sigma flash unit, which is good, but the 580 is much better, and is about £245 from 1 Stop Digital.

(and I keep thinking about that 10-20mm - maybe I should give the money to my Mrs and then I won't have to make any decisions :bang:)

Al advice appreciated.

Steve

maybe I should give the money to my Mrs and then I won't have to make any decisions

Blashphemy!

I'm not sure about the relative costs in the methods to take the flash off camera though.

I think Steve you should treat Mrs Jelster to a nice dress, wine & dine her etc!!!! Madness you might say but it pays to play the long game for future large photographic purchases!!!!

The 10-20 is a great lens, but it's not an all rounder which means unless you find you have a particular use for it (e.g. like petemc) the chances are it will spend most of it's life in your kit bag. I speak from experience there, had mine for a while and hardly ever used it so I sold it. At the same time, I doubt the 580 is £245 better than the Sigma flash?

Not helping much there...

Mostly I love portraiture, but (and it's a fairly big but) I do get a kick out of the sheer coverage you get from the 10-20, and we often visit country parks and houses etc, so it would get used. It's also handy for getting up close on still motorsport stuff too.

However, I really really want to take more portraits outside, especially in the evenings and the 508 will make this a lot easier.

I'll have a think over the weekend and decide what to do on Monday.....

Maybe I should just buy both and be done with it.... :eek:

Steve

As an owner of a 10-20 I can only say this is the bees knees!! Makes such a difference for railway photography, stately homes etc

Get everything you want Steve but you may have to smooth talk Mrs Jelster!

Back