Do i get the 17-85 repaired?

Name
Dylan
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so I am in a bit of a dilemma… my 17-85 IS has been sent off for an estimate to be repaired, and the price they have come back with is £120. Basically the lens was dropped, however it did have a filter on it which took the brunt of the fall, the only problem this lens has is focusing in the distance. On close up objects, it has no problem however anything more than about 5 foot away it will try to focus but continually “hunt”.

Now my question is… do I pay to get this lens fixed, or cut my losses and buy a Sigma 18-125 OS HSM lens, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Hi,

I'm having problems trying to understand why you might 'junk' an excellent £500 lens, for the want of a £120 repair, when a third party replacement is going to cost at least twice the repair cost?? Seems false economy to me.

I'm not familiar with the Sigma 18-125mm, but I do have the 17-85 EX Macro, and it's a very, very capable bit of kit, so I'd imagine if you do go for the Sigma, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Home contents insurance claim for accidental damage? I had the sensor on my 5D replaced without any questions asked for £50 excess.

Just an idea!

i did think about the Home Contents, but for such a small amount as a lens the excess and premium will rise too much. I honestly cannot remember how much i paid for the lens, this is why i do not know its true value, however going by Camera Price Buster, cheapest they have it listed for is £235, so half of that 117.50, so the repair costs over half as much as the lens is worth in my eyes

The only one other thing, there was a small nick on the glass after i dropped it, this is the only other reason why i was thinkin of junking it, as if i ever come to sell it, this will have to be taken in to account.

Back