Do I have a shutter problem?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
shutterproblem.jpg

As indicated by the big red ring, that to me looks like a problem with the shutter?

Admittedly it was at high speed (1/4000) to keep the image from blowing out totally, but if it is a shutter problem, then it's going back.

Shutter has done around 9000 actuations roughly.

Opinions anyone?

I must admit the straight line looks a little odd, has it showed up in any other shots?

sorry matt ,,,but wot we meant to be looking at ?

It certainly looks like it need further investigation, is it still in warranty?

Matty,

I'd be interested to know if the same line appears if you lock the mirror up.

Bob

yeah sorry matt . when i looked i really thought it was a contrail .i would have thought that if it was a shutter problem it would have been visible all the way along the frame .if it was some sort of light leak from the shutter i would have thought it would show up more with a slow shutter speed .im goint to go out and bang off a few 4000th of a sec frames with a d50 ,,,,never used that speed before ,,see what it does

Wouldn't contrail be a bit softer and not so sharp-looking?

I must admit I thought that was what it was to start with.

It is very sharp, so it doesnt look like a contrail, I was just wondering whether or not you can post another image with it on Matty....wondered if it'd give us a better understanding of it.
It doesnt seem to "cut" infront of the building, Like i would have possibly expected it to.

:thinking:

Yea just keep trying to replicate the problem. It would help the people repairing it as well! Hope it works out :) Must be one of these really annoying things ^^

while we're here matt ,do you have any connections with that glass factory down the road from you ?

Hard to see on the posted image but it looks to me as if the line goes behind the lighthouse and does not appear across the dark portion of the roof.
There is some good advice from other members to try and isolate any problem.

I believe the line is caused by a slight hesitation in the movement of the second curtain. The reason that the line appears to go behind the tower is that the dark structure reduces the impact of the extra exposure in this area. Contrails are very unusual below clouds as the air temperature is higher under the clouds and reduces the chances of their formation.
Taking the shot with the camera rotated 90 degrees would give you a vertical line if the problem was shutter related.

Those are my thoughts anyway....probably wrong as usual :crying:

Bob

Difficult! I'd really hate to guess just on the evidence of this one shot. The only thing I'd say is I checked the level of the line against a grid line in PSP and it isn't straight - not by much mind you, and probably not by enough to rule out the shutter completely. :shrug:

Difficult! I'd really hate to guess just on the evidence of this one shot. The only thing I'd say is I checked the level of the line against a grid line in PSP and it isn't straight - not by much mind you, and probably not by enough to rule out the shutter completely. :shrug:

Yea - I tried that too CT - can't imagine how it can be a shutter problem really, hence asking Matty to check a fair amount first

Back