do I need an ND filter for video using compact camera?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
as the question says,

do I need an ND filter for video using compact camera?

I have noticed that sometimes flowing water and cars etc can look a little choppy and weird. When I film in SD, it's just 640x480 resolution is it even worth it?

I'm using a canon a720is compact for making some short films some of them with flowing water in and also moving cars/traffic which has been a slight problem when I need it to look smooth.

Advice would be appreciated,

regards,

Ben.

What frame rate are you using, normally shutter speed is twice frame rate, ie 24 fps the 1/50, whether you need an ND filter depends on aperture used and the light as they are the other two side of the exposure triangle.

What frame rate are you using, normally shutter speed is twice frame rate, ie 24 fps the 1/50, whether you need an ND filter depends on aperture used and the light as they are the other two side of the exposure triangle.

it's 30fps, it can also do 25fps but I've never used that mode, unfortunately I can't control it in full manual mode, it's like being in 'p' mode but all the time, can't control aperture or shutter speed. I can control white balance, saturation and sharpness though.

what is the exposure triangle? sounds interesting

The three element of exposure, Shutter speed, Aperture, and ISO. If you don't have fyll control getting a decent result may be difficult, time to change the camera :)

artyman said:
The three element of exposure, Shutter speed, Aperture, and ISO. If you don't have fyll control getting a decent result may be difficult, time to change the camera :)

Not necessarily...

I'm in the middle of editing a wedding I shot last Thursday and most of my shots were from my Sony hx20v, which I only have control over EV compensation (and white balance etc).

It depends how good your camera is at reading the scene. If you don't have manual control but your camera is quick to change and you at least have control over EV compensation then you may be ok - especially if the light isn't changing that much.

If you're specifically talking about 'choppiness' which is only apparent in certain situations like you've observed (things moving) then the only way to combat this is to get the shutter speed down. Look up the 180 rule. And in bright daylight, full manual control and an nd filter is your only option to do things by the book

symmetricalOCD said:
so you just copied and pasted part of what I said....

what's your point?

My guess is that Mr Mayer is here to sell us something! The clue is in the join date and website link in the profile ;-)

Back