Do These Look Sharp To You?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these this evening after a few glasses of Somerset Cider from Londis :puke:

They have had a little bit of sharpening in LR but other than the pidgeon
which has been cropped big time, they are as they left the camera (re-sized
for the forum).

I doubted the sharpness of the lens but they look pretty good to me considering
the circumstances, drunk,low light etc.

Would you agree that when im sober, my technique needs to improve?

1. My neighbour Sandra.
Outside-6.jpg

2. Hayden & Georgie.
Outside-5.jpg

3. Doggy.
Outside-4.jpg

4. Woody (heavily cropped).
Outside-3.jpg

5. Josh.
Outside-2.jpg

6. Sandra.
Outside.jpg

You have a camera with 12.2 megapixels. These images are 0.4 megapixels. In other words you've thrown away 96 out of every 100 pixels. I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make (other than that the cider had an effect).

You have a camera with 12.2 megapixels. These images are 0.4 megapixels. In other words you've thrown away 96 out of every 100 pixels. I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make (other than that the cider had an effect).

How can i display a 12.2 mp picture at the max forum size limit?

I am asking if the pics look sharp.

Strange response there Stewart...? Most other folk who post images on here are in exactly the same position more or less, and you don't reply to them with this sort of response...!:shrug:

Snoop is only asking if the images are sharp, that's all...?

As to that... as I see it, some are more sharp than others. Most are OK, but Josh and the Wood Pigeon are the least sharp. Did you apply USM...?

Took these this evening after a few glasses of Somerset Cider from Londis :puke:

Considering that, I think they look fine :LOL:

I do think they look fine and one can become obsessed with "it must be pin sharp all the time!", as above the wood pigeon is slightly less, but it has been heavily cropped.

Try taking the photos again, this time without the Cider :LOL::LOL: and see if you get any improvement (y)

Do they look sharp – well they look fine but yes they could look sharper.:)

As most are portrait style photos, did you have your camera set on the portrait mode?
The auto portrait mode of some cameras can soften the focus a little ??

I do think the facial images are sharp enough but thought they might benefit from a little sharpening around just the eyes? I had you don’t mind but I had a try with this picture

ORIGINAL
Outside-2.jpg

EDITED
Outside-2.jpg

HTH
Cyb

Most are OK, but Josh and the Wood Pigeon are the least sharp. Did you apply USM...?

Thanks MM, i have kept PP to a very minimum & only applied a little sharpening
using LR.

Considering that, I think they look fine :LOL:

I do think they look fine and one can become obsessed with "it must be pin sharp all the time!", as above the wood pigeon is slightly less, but it has been heavily cropped.

Try taking the photos again, this time without the Cider :LOL::LOL: and see if you get any improvement (y)

:LOL:
Pin sharp from the camera would be very nice but i was hoping that these pics
would be pretty good considering the circumstances & would prove that my
lens was good & it was me that needed educating.

Here is a pic of Woody un-touched.
IMG_3322.jpg

Do they look sharp – well they look fine but yes they could look sharper.:)

As most are portrait style photos, did you have your camera set on the portrait mode?
The auto portrait mode of some cameras can soften the focus a little ??

I do think the facial images are sharp enough but thought they might benefit from a little sharpening around just the eyes? I had you don’t mind but I had a try with this picture
HTH
Cyb

Thanks Cyb, that edit looks great. Did you edit in PS or LR?

The camera was in 'P' for pratting around mode :LOL:

How can i display a 12.2 mp picture at the max forum size limit?

I am asking if the pics look sharp.

Strange response there Stewart...? Most other folk who post images on here are in exactly the same position more or less, and you don't reply to them with this sort of response...!:shrug:

Snoop is only asking if the images are sharp, that's all...?
Sorry if that came across as less than helpful.

My point was that I didn't think it was a particularly meaningful question. If you want to know whether your equipment is capable of taking sharp pictures, then looking at a tiny picture like this doesn't really tell you anything - a 100% crop would be more usual. And if you want to know whetehr you are capable of taking sharp pictures, then laying off the cider before taking the test shots would be helpful.

For what it's worth - no, in my opinion none of them are really sharp. And given the small size of the images, there's really no reason why they shouldn't be.

Given the fact you haven't shot above f4 and some are f2.8 so DOF would be fairly shallow I would say they are to be of an expected standard and a little PP sharpening will sort it as Cyb has shown.

My point was that I didn't think it was a particularly meaningful question.
If you want to know whether your equipment is capable of taking sharp pictures, then looking at a tiny picture like this doesn't really tell you anything - a 100% crop would be more usual. And if you want to know whetehr you are capable of taking sharp pictures, then laying off the cider before taking the test shots would be helpful.

I have to disagree as others have managed to answer my question :)

I doubted the quality of my lens but if these are acceptable when i have
had a few drinks then it confirms that its my technique when sober.:LOL:

As for viewing a small picture, ive read many a post quoting 'wow, these are
sharp'. Why should mine be any different at the this size which satisfies
forum rules :thinking:

Given the fact you haven't shot above f4 and some are f2.8 so DOF would be fairly shallow I would say they are to be of an expected standard and a little PP sharpening will sort it as Cyb has shown.

Thank you, just what i was after.

Did you sharpen after reszing?

Just a little in Lightroom.

I wouldn't show the 1st picture to your neighbour if I were you. It should be much softer in this particular case, and with very different lighting (absolutely no on camera flash!). If you do show it please let me know the outcome.

I wouldn't show the 1st picture to your neighbour if I were you. It should be much softer in this particular case, and with very different lighting (absolutely no on camera flash!). If you do show it please let me know the outcome.

:LOL: She has seen it & she hates it - she mentioned the 'delete' whilst
looking at the pics i took that night :thinking: :LOL:

You asked if they were soft :D

I know many nightclub photographers who still get pin sharp images when wasted though :thinking:

I asked if they were ok considering i was drunk when i took them.

I thought i had a dodgy lens but having seen these whist intoxicated, i didnt
think they looked too bad confirming that the lens is probably ok but my
technique needs sorting out (y)

if you are worried that the lens isnt sharp/is not focussing correctly, might be better to test it sobre :D

As said though i know many people who can still nail pin sharp when ****ed, so test it when sobre and you will get a better idea on the IQ coming from the glass.

if you are worried that the lens isnt sharp/is not focussing correctly, might be better to test it sobre :D

Heres a horsey pic from the other week. Only adjustments are USM in CS3.
IMG_2677.jpg

Crop.
IMG_2677CROP.jpg

Don't want to be scarer ,but looking at pic 2 of little georgie his eyes are diferent colours and remember (just) an article about a woman noticing something like this in a photo and it turned out to be something nasty.

With her picking up on it though they where able to treat it in time .
Tried to find it but could not,but this could be the same thing,hope to God I'm seing things.
Linky
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Brain-Tumors-1000/Sign-tumor.htm

Back