Do you take ages mulling over a purchase?

My 50D purchase was made at 2 in the morning after my trigger finger was hovering over the checkout button since midnight:LOL:, although I had been thinking about it for a few weeks, that evening I had some bad news and I just went for it to cheer myself up:).

I normally do a great deal of research before buying anything as well as tog gear.

In my experience (not just with photographic equipment, but other purchases too), however much research you've done, there's generally no substitute for actually owning a piece of equipment and deciding from your own experiences. OK, that was a pretty bloody obvious statement, wasn't it :p?

Consequently, I tend to do enough research to make sure that I've seen all of the options available and then just go with "gut instinct", rather than being swayed by a couple of % in magazine review scores, etc. :|

FWIW, I bought all of my DSLR kit between December 08 and January 09 and that "hastiness", as some would see it ;), actually saved me over a Grand :eek:, given the subsequent steep rises in prices of the D700 and the 4 lenses I bought to go with it. What's more, I've been able to take a lot of pictures during that time, which I would have missed out on, had I delayed the purchase :).

I buy impulsively and have regretted doing so from time to time.

Yes and no.

I bought a 5D after seeing just what it was capable of. That took me a week before I managed to convince myself I would be stupid not to.

Recently I bought a 35mm f2 and an 85mm f1.8. But I sold a 100-400mm to finance it and it left me enough in the kitty to buy a rolling case for weddings and a few more memory cards etc. That was planned and properly executed and the pricing researched. I did buy the two incoming lenses before the prices went up and waited until the 100-400mm had skyrocketed so I maximised my own income though :)

Generally I buy what I need with the gross exception of a lastolite highlite which is so blooming unweildy it ends up staying in it's bag. The rest of my kit gets used as often as I can.

Well, I spent lots of time researching what i want to buy, then even more time thinking of the best way to ask my mum for the money :), though she does owe me £450 at the moment, so im trying to think of an excuse to have it, then its the 450D for me :)

*afterthought*

The prices of cameras are rising arn't they ? could be a good excuse to buy now .

I find if you rush into buying something you tend to regret it and end up selling it and upgrading a couple of weeks later.

Then again i have missed some good deals beacause i havnt made my mind up quick enough. :LOL:

That's what im scared of at the moment, by the time I get the cash the price might've sky-rocketed!

Heh, I do acres of research on all sorts of things I'm interested in buying, even if I know I'm not in a position to buy it. I like to be prepared for when I might find a good deal about so I could move on it quickly and know what I was getting (ie, so if I'd seen that D700 kit deal for a grand I'd have leapt on it).

that said, once I've decided on what I want, I then don't have much patience to wait for the product. I'll often pay a bit more and buy it on the high street rather than wait for it to arrive in the post (assuming the price differential isn't too high, I don't mind supporting the highstreet, but I won't let them really screw me for it).

Of course, this all leads into whether I can make proper use of these things I buy. probably not but I guess one gets better over time.

dave

well I've been waiting for over a year now trying to make up my mind on a bigma. What I don't want to do is buy it and then stick it in the cupboard somewhere. Might make me go out more with a long lens, hope so :thinking:
bri

I spend for ever asking mostly on this forum and reading lots of reviews.
This has always ended well for me.

I've been thinking of upgrading from my 350D for ages, swinging from a 40D, 50D, D90, D300. Now I've been given some money and will probably end up buying a 5Dmk2 but I've been researching it for weeks and went to the LCE Pro Show at Southampton last week, just to handle the 5Dmk2.

Back