Dodgy Sensor

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Further to my last post regarding the iffy sensor on one of my D2x bodies. The camera went back to Calumet this afternoon for a check-up along with this image:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/Arkady01/Misc/_RK24337sm.jpg

A shot of the filing cabinet doors in my office deliberately underexposed by 3 stops to highlight the banding effect.

The excessive noise is also evident in shadow areas of many recent shots taken on the NATO exercise in Norway that we returned from at the beginning of the month. Hopefully I'll get a replacement camera by friday, as Nikon were quoting a minimum 14-day turnaround for even simple repairs the last time I asked.

Thats terrible ......imagine if you had paid for that camera with your own dosh.

Well atleast your getting closer to an acceptable solution (ie - new camera) as opposed to the troubles of getting it fixed up(y)

:LOL: It did make me chuckle too. BUT regardless of who foots the bill, it's a camera he needs to use to get his job done, simple as, and that sort of banding and noise isn't good.

It's not acceptable on a point and click so how it can be present in a pro body. Sheesh!

I can't see them having an issue with that kind of evidence.

Calumet apparently 'need more info' before proceeding... Hmmm...
Trying to ring them now.

Just been phoned back by Terence at Calumet - this is the first instance of this phenomenon that Nikon have heard of from a D2x and they're very concerned. Lots of emails and phone calls to Chiyoda-ku...
At the moment the boffins are trying to replicate the conditions I took the images in and are doing a series of tests and diagnoses on the CCD itself. So far, the test programs aren't showing any faults, but if they can replicate the problem, they can run a program to correct the CCD to filter out the noise and colour banding.
If that fails, then a new CCD would be ordered from Japan and the old one sent back for autopsy.

Wait, out...

I have to say that with a camera of that quality you've obviously been very unlucky there Rob. PITA all the same.

:canon:

/runs and hides very quickly

Hope it's sorted soon for you m8, i'd have thought that having the exif and the image showing the banding they could have recreated the fault.

Back