Beginner Does anyone else use DIY equipment?

Name
Conan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, yesterday I received a backdrop support and back drops. I remember being told to go for a flash, and a reflector for portrait style shots.

I took apart the box everything came in as I don't need it as I have a carry case, and thought I would try to make my own reflector. Does anyone else here do things like this?

It folds down to a smaller size zigzag style, and I'm quite happy with it until I can afford the real thing. I'm buying what I need as I go along as am on a very, very tight budget, so am only getting the essentials.

Next time will be a Godox flash. I wanted to get it this time but could not afford it.

Here Is a picture of my DIY reflector-
o4eQfe1h.jpg

I hope you like it as my first attempt at this, took about 10 minutes and just cost me a few sheets of kitchen foil and a cardboard box.

Paint the other side white, a foil reflector will give a very specific ‘look’ that you might not like.

I’ve done loads of DIY stuff in the past; the key is being thoroughly aware what you’re creating and remembering what you’re saving.

Reflectors are inexpensive.

Paint the other side white, a foil reflector will give a very specific ‘look’ that you might not like.

I’ve done loads of DIY stuff in the past; the key is being thoroughly aware what you’re creating and remembering what you’re saving.

Reflectors are inexpensive.
OK, thanks for the tip painting the other side white.

I realise they are inexpensive, but until I am next payed I have £0. Just thought it would be something to do and practice with for now, until I get my flash and 5 in 1 next weekend :)

Check out those silvered sunshades for car windscreens (like a crinkly silver foil on a cloth backing) you can get these in the pound shops and they make a fair reflector. Large sheets of white polystyrene are handy for studio reflectors, as is white foam core boad or even plastic corrugated cardboard often used for cheap event signs. You can often scrounge these after events. Black "reflectors" are handy for killing reflections or flagging lights.

@soeren , I'm still pretty new to photography, what does the plate do when you use the pop up flash? Does it create more light but without the flash hitting the subject straight on?

Liking all the DIY things here, they are great!

@soeren , I'm still pretty new to photography, what does the plate do when you use the pop up flash? Does it create more light but without the flash hitting the subject straight on?

Liking all the DIY things here, they are great!
As you can see from the flower pics "without" and "with" (watch the shadows) it makes the tiny onboard flash look BIG and moves the lightsource forward so the lens dosnt block the light. The flower is shoot using a 55mm micro nikkor.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see from the flower pics "without" and "with" (watch the shadows) it makes the tiny onboard flash look BIG and moves the lightsource forward so the lens dosnt block the light. The flower is shoot using a 55mm micro nikkor.

Doh, I didn't notice the flower shots! I can see the improvement between the without and with photos.

You mention it moves the light source forward as the lens doesn't block the light, doesn't the plate block it even more though? Sorry if it's a silly question, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can at the moment :) .

The plate is semi transparent and while absorbing and reflecting some light it acts like the diffusion panel on a softbox. It becomes the primary light source and, in relation to the pop up flash, a big one at that too, just like a softbox vs a bare flashhead. You can see the softer transition from light to shadow under the petals and the lack of shadow from the lens.

I don't have any photos to hand, but if I'm doing a still life shot on the kitchen table, I'll use mountboard (cheap from the range, or hobby craft) to reflect some light back to fill the shadows.

I've tried quite a few different DIY accessories some related to lighting. Adding IR filters to strobes has given results not readily achievable with purchased kit, the other lighting modifiers probably gave similar results to the kit that inspired them (though not always being as easy to use).

Laminated paper can be good for small reflectors (I usually sand one side with fine wet & dry) Tracing paper laminated like this is OK for diffusing too (IIRC I did 1 sheet, 2 sheets & 3 sheets for different degrees of diffusion)

Outside of lighting, I've made my own lens adapters, backgrounds, and some extra display boards for our club...

Last edited:
smoked salmon wrapping, like cardboard with shiny surface, makes an OK reflector for small objects, portraits too.

an eye bolt screws into bottom of camera, a loop of string through the eye and other end under your foot can help steady camera whilst panning.

bubble wrap protects camera when shooting from the ground, top of brick wall, etc.

.... and something I'm working on .... a walking stick with a V yoke to double as a monopod and might save on lens collar cost too.

Silvered carboard cake bases make a handy small reflector (the sort you get on supermarket birthday cakes)
My all time favorite bounce board for the old metz 45 was cardboad with wire coathanger reinforcement, and one side covered in white reflective number plate material which you used to be able to buy by the roll.
I like Sorens plate trick, the annoying thing about it is yesterday I ordered two macro diffuser things that look a bit like it. Dohhh! A day earlier seeing the post and I could have saved myself £6... Yes I'm that tight..

The round disc of cardboard/polystyrene you get under pizzas works as a small reflector as well

Only so much as white cards to bounce light off with, anything from a piece of A4 or I have taped a few pieces of paper together in order to get a white background for product shots.

Back