Does anyone have a 5x4 negative I could borrow or keep please?

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of maybe buying myself a 5x4 camera sometime this year. Unfortunately my scanner (an Epson V550) will only stretch to 120 format negatives by default, so I'm thinking I could maybe finagle a negative holder to allow me to scan a larger negative in two halves and then stitch them together in Photoshop. This is a bit of a faff, but much cheaper than a new scanner.

I'd like to test (and try to perfect) this before I shell out for a large format camera though.

So... do any 5x4 camera owners here have a negative that you would be willing to let me use as a test subject please? All I need is something sharp and reasonably well exposed to let me see how effective the scanning setup is - the subject matter or how well composed the image is doesn't matter at all. I'd cover postage costs etc.

I think this method has been used by others here already, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

I'm thinking of maybe buying myself a 5x4 camera sometime this year. Unfortunately my scanner (an Epson V550) will only stretch to 120 format negatives by default, so I'm thinking I could maybe finagle a negative holder to allow me to scan a larger negative in two halves and then stitch them together in Photoshop. This is a bit of a faff, but much cheaper than a new scanner.

I'd like to test (and try to perfect) this before I shell out for a large format camera though.

So... do any 5x4 camera owners here have a negative that you would be willing to let me use as a test subject please? All I need is something sharp and reasonably well exposed to let me see how effective the scanning setup is - the subject matter or how well composed the image is doesn't matter at all. I'd cover postage costs etc.

I think this method has been used by others here already, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks. :)
That's what I do, I use Panorama merge in Lightroom to stitch the two scan together. I'm happy to send you a neg or two as long as you promise not to laugh at how bad they are :)

I have a piece of 2mm glass with some electrical tape on it to position the neg, you also need a white square in the bottom corner to convince the scanner that a negative carrier is loaded (look on the back of the neg carriers that came with the scanner, you'll see what I mean), I'll try to get some pictures of my set up but it will be tomorrow evening

That's what I do, I use Panorama merge in Lightroom to stitch the two scan together. I'm happy to send you a neg or two as long as you promise not to laugh at how bad they are :)

I have a piece of 2mm glass with some electrical tape on it to position the neg, you also need a white square in the bottom corner to convince the scanner that a negative carrier is loaded (look on the back of the neg carriers that came with the scanner, you'll see what I mean), I'll try to get some pictures of my set up but it will be tomorrow evening

Thanks Chris, that’d be great. I’ll PM my address.

And no laughing, I promise. I’m sure you’re doing yourself a disservice. :)

Nige, I picked up an Epson Perfection 3200 for my half frame prints and use the V500 for the 6x6. It was cheap and does a nice job.

If I shoot a Magnum quality photo I'll have it professionally scanned. ;)

How many sub miniature negs do you want?
Personally I’d send you a 10x8.
If you can stick that together then without doubt you’re on a winner :LOL:

Last edited:
Nige, I picked up an Epson Perfection 3200 for my half frame prints and use the V500 for the 6x6. It was cheap and does a nice job.

If I shoot a Magnum quality photo I'll have it professionally scanned. ;)
I use a Plustek for my 135 scans, and the V550 for 120 stuff. It's anything larger than 120 format that I'm stuck for at present, hence the attempt to use the V550 to "hack" large format scans.
How many sub miniature negs do you want?
Personally I’d send you a 10x8.
If you can stick that together then without doubt you’re on a winner :LOL:
I could always cut a 4x5 section out of the 10x8. Putting it back together might be beyond the capabilities of Photoshop though. :D

An alternative would be to use a 5x4 sheet of acetate and draw on it with Sharpies (other felt tip pens are available!).

Keeping a large format neg perfectly square while you move it around to scan different sections takes practice (and scanning a 3' square map was a royal PITA!!!)

I had no problem scanning my 5x4s on the V500, straight onto the glass, placed by eye based on the location of the scanning strip from the given film holders. Move across by eye after the first scan. Pano merge in Affinity Photo is a complete doddle!

I did come across a YT video from a bloke who built his own film holder from cardboard. I worked out how to make my own, based on the scanner dimensions (ihe holder would have started butted onto one side, second pass butted to the other side). But I couldn't find the card he used, and the one I got was very difficult to cut, not having a proper knife or cutting mat. So I tried withput it, and it worked!

This is what I have, the black tape on the back of the glass keeps it off the scanner glass and prevents Newtons rings, the masking tape is on the top for positioning the neg.
P4260500.jpg

P4260501.jpg

I had no problem scanning my 5x4s on the V500, straight onto the glass, placed by eye based on the location of the scanning strip from the given film holders. Move across by eye after the first scan. Pano merge in Affinity Photo is a complete doddle!

I did come across a YT video from a bloke who built his own film holder from cardboard. I worked out how to make my own, based on the scanner dimensions (ihe holder would have started butted onto one side, second pass butted to the other side). But I couldn't find the card he used, and the one I got was very difficult to cut, not having a proper knife or cutting mat. So I tried withput it, and it worked!
Interestingly when I put my ANR glass over the half plate negative I got two lines running across it. When I took the glass away all was well. So like you, straight on the scanner glass.

Back