Does anyone still use cheap, compact P&S cameras?

How come I've not seen this thread before? I think compact cameras can produce excellent results, and are a very useful tool to have. I've probably bored people before on other threads about my little Canon A640. It was all I used for many years. I recently dug it out again and I was amazed how good it was. I didn't get anything like the potential out of it before, and it's only now I appreciate how versatile it really is. I've had some amazing results that have blown me away.

Having been looking for a decent pocket camera, I was surprised how few there are available at this time. I've had my eye on an Ixus for a while, but with no success. I've now eventually found a Canon PowerShot SX740 HS. I was getting a little fed up lugging around my slr's for holiday snaps - and that's all they ever are snaps, so this seemed the way to go. The Slr's are really for home/studio.

I've probably bored people before on other threads about my little Canon A640.
These "cheap old cameras" were often the best things on offer at the time.

What I find interesting is how much more user friendly they were than later models, before manufacturers began to overload them with features that few, if any, customers needed, wanted or even understood.

:tumbleweed:

Well, I can't really comment on that. It did me for many years, after which I jumped directly to a mirrorless camera for grown ups. I will say it's got just what I need, and no more. I tend to use it in town mainly for when I come across something of interest. Often things I couldn't get readily with a proper camera. But what I really love about it is the quality of the film simulations. Positive Film is absolutely gorgeous.

Having been looking for a decent pocket camera, I was surprised how few there are available at this time. I've had my eye on an Ixus for a while, but with no success. I've now eventually found a Canon PowerShot SX740 HS. I was getting a little fed up lugging around my slr's for holiday snaps - and that's all they ever are snaps, so this seemed the way to go. The Slr's are really for home/studio.
Having now recieved said camera - a little grainy @ 800 iso but not bad for an indoor snap-shot, ambient lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_0113b.jpg
    IMG_0113b.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 17
They are capable of excellent results. I love my little Casio.

CIMG0814.jpg

Last edited:
what is forgotton is a camera phone you are continually paying line rental on top of buying it in the first place. With a camera compact or otherwise one bought you own with nothing more to pay.
I don't have a cameraphone or anything like, the cost of say £25 a month (just guessing) on top of buying makes it a very expensive way to take photos. I bought a Lumix compact not long ago and it is handy to grab hold of or keep in a pocket.
I do have a high end camera phone yes you do pay for it but I'm self employed and I need to send photos to customers I use it for ordering parts and do invoicing off it so for me the phone is actually tax deductable so In a way it's a cheap camera I have with me always

Still playing with my Nikon S10. 6MP is often enough, in my opinion...

Rich tea biscuits S10 DSCN0851.JPG

I've now given up with my phone for casual photos as I can not get on with the ergonomics, and reverted to a 12 year old Sony cybershot w610 which was laying forgotten in a drawer.

Note the size and weight
Width
92.9 mm
Depth19.3 mm
Height52.4 mm
Weight97 g
Weight (including battery)113 g

A delight to carry and the results are good enough for casual record shots :D

From My everyday carry Nikon, I was looking into buying a new Cheap Compact but as pointed out above the range from the bigger manufactures is pretty much zero. For me small size is a big plus point as most of my photography is done whilst doing other things ( Dog walking one of the big ones) and the lower cost also means I am more likely to carry it as some of my activities carry a high risk of damage as proven by the one I'm using , one of my dogs bounced off the lens as I was taking a photo of a wild flower and now it only shuts by turning it upside down and giving it a wack.

JAG.JPG

TELE.JPG

FLOUR.JPG

I've no time for camera snobbery. Doubtlessly, some cameras are better for some tasks than others given the prerequisite competence of the photographer. But there are times when it really doesn't matter. It's just as pleasing for me taking a pin-sharp portrait with my D810 as it is taking blurry instant photos with my Instax Mini.

Some people find solace in buying new gear. Been there, done that. I'm getting more of a buzz now from going back and using the stuff acquired during that period of my life that I had previously considered obsolete.
I was just re-watching some of the Eamon McCabe series and the first shots he took at the Heysel Stadium were taken on a Canon SureShot. I think he mentioned that he then went on to cover the rest on a different camera. I assumed he meant on something like a Canon A1.

I don't think anyone would argue that the impact of the couple of shots he took on the PAS is lessened by not being shot on an ILC.

There are definitely times when the camera doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I haven't come across anything easier to carry or simpler to use than my old Canon Ixus 70. It really is tiny and lives in a very small pouch on my belt. Unlike a cell phone, it has an optical viewfinder as well as a surprisingly bright and washout resistant screen,

Great for those simple images, like reporting on a repair...

Gate support wheel Ixus 70 IMG_4326.JPG

Absolutely. I wouldn't be without a compact camera in my armoury. Like its larger brethren they have their place. And are ideal in many situations where it's siblings might struggle. I'm a great fan of lower MP pocket cameras. They give me a similar experience to using a film camera.

I took my Sony A6000 to Bewdley today but took this with my point and shoot just as a reference really. It's a shame that down sizing it to fit here seems to have had such an impact on quality. The original is quite impressive to the point I might start just taking the point and shoot !
BEWDLEY.JPG

Have traded my newish Canon 740HS already for a Sony RX100 (MK1 - 12 years old). So far it seems an improvement over the canon as well as providing RAW files of which Photoshop really can improve on high iso images with their denoise. Once I shoot some pics I'll post them up. The Sony is also minute compared to the 740.

Not the best shot in the world, but pretty pleased so far with this old Sony FX100. f3.5 iso 200

2nd shot iso 500 f4.5@1/200 using adobe denoise

Attachments

• DSC00033-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    DSC00033-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00039-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    DSC00039-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Does anything get cheaper than my £5 Fujifilm SL300?

Poppy day at the Sidmouth Royal British Legion Club...

Giant poppy on balcony Sidmouth SL300 DSCF3623.JPG

Another (now) cheap little camera: the Ixus 70. Mine cost me £25 and it's very useful for quick snaps...

Abacus Canon Ixus 70 0835.jpg

Back