Does DSLR make a lot of difference??

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I am quite new to digital photography I have dabbled for years and am getting more serious a lot of landscapes mainly as I live close to the lake district and climb a lot, however at the moment I use a fuji s6500fd and am thinking of getting a canon eos450d as everyone says that it is a great camera and tha I cannot progress anyfurthre without a DSLR.

Thought you guys might be able to help please. A lot of my shots are auto settings unless I am photographing someone climbing then I normally tweak shutterspeed.

Hiya mate. Welcome aboard!

I'm not so sure that's strictly true that you cannot progress further.
But a D-SLR will have better results than a bridge camera.
The past couple of years has produced some excellent D-SLR camera's at an excellent price, and it's getting better!

If you take your photography even remotely serious, then yes you should get a D-SLR..........

Hi Greg & welcome to the forum.

While you're using the Fuji, force yourself to take all pics with manual settings. That way you will learn about aperture, shutterspeed, ISO and their relationship to each other. this will stand you in good stead when you do upgrade ... and you will ;)

Gary :)

I am also at the point of changing from a bridge camera back to a DSLR. I once owned a DSLR but never had time to take too many photo's and one day needed the money so I sold it :(

Even when I owned the DSLR I only ever shot in auto. Since using the bridge camera again and doing more with my photography I feel it is time to move on. I use the fuji bridge camera in both manual and shutter mode but compared to the Canon EOS 350d I have been using again (thanks mum) the difference it huge.
Personally I don't see why anyone would change from a bridge to a DSLR until they have fully used the bridge camera first, i.e. all the functions.

Still today I have been shooting with both the bridge and the DSLR as they both have good purposes for different shots required.

Hope this helps????

Yes a dSLR will have more lens and flash choices and can give better photos.

Are your friend right is saying you cannot progress any further without a DSLR. Well I've not seen any of your images, but you say that you shoot in auto mode,then your friends are wrong IMHO.

Your camera has Shutter-priority , Aperture-priority and Manual exposure modes it also has selectable f-stops. So it has all the features of a dSLR except changeable lens.

I'm sure you can get more out of your camera, and you can get some excellent results from it.

Does it make a lot of difference, yes, it's not the most practical thing to take with you when climbing up a mountain. Personally I use my DSLR when going places in the car and taking short walks, or for macro photography at or near home, but when walking or scrambling up mountains I always use my creative compact.

Although I would like to use my DSLR I can't justify carrying the extra weight of camera and selection of lens. I would suggest learning to use your compact in aperture mode which I find the best for landscapes, practice using manual mode to understand how the camera works, and eventually get yourself a DSLR for better photo quality when not climbing.

If you're feeling strong then take it up the mountain. Personally I find that my compact takes decent enough photos though to blow up to A4 size. You do need to get the composition right though as cropping too much afterwards will lower the resolution.

i had a Nikon D300 & sold it to fund a motorcycle
went out and bought a panasonic fz28 & was so dissapointed with the picture quality compared to the nikon....my bike is now for sale & i have a canon 5d mk2 winging its way to me next week....chalk & cheese i say

compacts - great at what they do.
dslrs - great at what they do.

bridge cameras - none of the advantages of compacts (their size) with none of the advantages of dslrs (quality, interchangeable lenses, DOF, manual controls, RAW)

just my opinion. It may not be the same as others.

compacts - great at what they do.
dslrs - great at what they do.

bridge cameras - none of the advantages of compacts (their size) with none of the advantages of dslrs (quality, interchangeable lenses, DOF, manual controls, RAW)

just my opinion. It may not be the same as others.

It certainly won't be the same, as others....! I now have a decent dslr but I can't give the bridge camera I had for the past two years enough praise. I certainly won't be getting rid of it. Obviously bridges aren't anywhere like the size and weight of a dslr, they do have manual controls, in fact most of the same features of a dslr, shutter, aperture priority and full manual. They do shooot raw, obviously with variable aperture they have variable dof, and furthermore lenses like tele and wide that can be added if necessary, though not ideal admittedly. Oh and macro down to a few cm...hmmm

None of the advantages............?!

It certainly won't be the same, as others....! I now have a decent dslr but I can't give the bridge camera I had for the past two years enough praise. I certainly won't be getting rid of it. Obviously bridges aren't anywhere like the size and weight of a dslr, they do have manual controls, in fact most of the same features of a dslr, shutter, aperture priority and full manual. They do shooot raw, obviously with variable aperture they have variable dof, and furthermore lenses like tele and wide that can be added if necessary, though not ideal admittedly. Oh and macro down to a few cm...hmmm

None of the advantages............?!

Couldn't agree more.

Whilst my 40D is in a completely different league, there are still plenty of circumstances where I cant give my Fuji superzoom bridge enough praise, I think they are brilliant.

I have the S7000 and kept it when I moved to DSLR, I think the videos it takes are really good.

one of the most noticable differences between the two is the much shorter depth of field on the dslr due to the much larger sensor. And the emptiness of your wallet for ever more :(

I am in the same boat really. I have a Fuji S7000 which I quite like. It's 35-270mm equivalent (I think) with full manual controls, macro down to a few mm away, the option to shoot in RAW. I can add filters, tele/wide angle converters, remote shutter cable and an external flash.
I find it's let down by:
-image noise. I rarely if ever shoot above ISO 200, and even that can be a tad noisy.
-manual focus. Very difficult to do properly on an LCD screen.
-shutter speed. Even in bulb mode I cannot go above 15s
-DoF. The small sensor means unless I'm in macro mode, or using telephoto quite close-up I can't really get a shallow DoF.
These would all be improved with any DSLR, right?

I like the Fuji despite the limitations, but I really can't decide whether it's worth upgrading or not. Other than what I've already mentioned plus ability to change lenses, would I notice much change?

I am in the same boat really. I have a Fuji S7000 which I quite like. It's 35-270mm equivalent (I think) with full manual controls, macro down to a few mm away, the option to shoot in RAW. I can add filters, tele/wide angle converters, remote shutter cable and an external flash.
I find it's let down by:
-image noise. I rarely if ever shoot above ISO 200, and even that can be a tad noisy.
-manual focus. Very difficult to do properly on an LCD screen.
-shutter speed. Even in bulb mode I cannot go above 15s
-DoF. The small sensor means unless I'm in macro mode, or using telephoto quite close-up I can't really get a shallow DoF.
These would all be improved with any DSLR, right?

I like the Fuji despite the limitations, but I really can't decide whether it's worth upgrading or not. Other than what I've already mentioned plus ability to change lenses, would I notice much change?

Borrow a DSLR from a friend/family for a weekend and see the difference, just have a play around with it and see how you get on :)

I will be at Scunthorpe Speedway on Saturday, will bring along my ol' 20D if you want to have a play.

Back