Does this look like a sensible way to demolish a chimney

wack61

I've got an itchy hatch
Edit My Images
No
jcb3.jpg

jcb.jpg

jcb2.jpg

WHAT!!! you wouldnt want to forget where you were at dinner time would you....
Fred Dibnah would have done it a brick at a time
(Dont let the HSE see that)

lol give me explosives and ILL do it :D boom boom :D

and what are they gonna do when they get half way down and what's left is full of bricks from the top half????:nuts:

I liked Fred Dibnah's method better, knock out the foundations then run like the clappers :exit:

and what are they gonna do when they get half way down and what's left is full of bricks from the top half????:nuts:

There's a truck inside the chimney the bricks land in the back, I never found out where it was in the world, not in western europe i'd imagine :rules:

Love to hear a cranedriver/rigger/slinger opinion on this one:eek:
Looks like some crazy one off idea from someone who thinks they know better than anyone because they are in charge:eek:.
I would wager it went over budget.

Whats most worrying to me is that there is what looks like a ladder up the side of it :wacky:

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when the bod who thought up this idea explains it..

"How about we hang a ******in great digger on the top by crane and pull the bricks down the middle onto Dave's tipper lorry !! ?

Imagine pulling the short straw on that job. "ok mick.. its your turn to go up this time. Don't worry.. if the chimney collapses the crane will save ya.

Whats most worrying to me is that there is what looks like a ladder up the side of it :wacky:

You think thats worrying, wait till you see a re-run of Fred Dibnah putting up ladders like that. ...strap the first on, then climb it, and strap the second one one ...etc etc...hundreds of ladders later and Freds still climbing up with a new ladder on one shoulder, resting on the way to enjoy the view...

:eek:

..makes my legs go funny just thinking about it.

I am wondering what does the driver do when he needs to do a No.2. At least the hole under him is big enough anyway, bigger than any bucket I know :LOL:

I am wondering what does the driver do when he needs to do a No.2....

How the hell would you NOT need to do a No.2 if you were sitting up there! ....I'd be on my third or fourth by the time I was half way up the ladder.

Bob

That looks awesome,

I, for one, would have loved to have done it !!!!!!!

Yes, I'm serious !

Love to hear a cranedriver/rigger/slinger opinion on this one:eek:
Looks like some crazy one off idea from someone who thinks they know better than anyone because they are in charge:eek:.
I would wager it went over budget.

Part of my job involves me going to sites and advising them on crane lifts. The one in the shot I'm very glad I wasn't involved in! Bottom line is, the biggest problem is stabilising the excavator on the beams - they appear to have removed the bottom workings completely, and attached the rotating base directly to the beams, which would then allow the crane to take basically the full weight of the machine and beams. What is interesting is that the machine operator doesn't appear to be independantly secured in any way to the crane.......nor does there appear to be another crane standing by in case of rescue being required......

Cheers for posting these pics!

Robyn, doesn't the custom made framework appear to have been made from 3 identical telescopic crane jibs?.
The design of the frame does not look very substantial placing a lot of stress on the welded joints at the centre which is dependent on the skills of whoever welded it together:eek:.

Back