Dog Amnesty / DDA - Thoughts?

I own a Jack Russel, and I've heard people say that they can be snappy bad tempered dogs, mine is just the opposite, loves to play and anyone who throws a ball for her is a friend for life. However, I've seen her take and kill a rabbit so I know she has it in her to be violent and I am careful not to let her get into situations where this could be a problem (never leave her alone with children for example)

I think that a well fed, well looked after, happy dog is far less likely to be a problem regardless of breed. Yes dogs are pack animals and have an instinct to protect/dominate but a responsible owner knows this and takes the proper precautions and ultimately it MUST be the owner who is held responsible.

Now here we have the voice of reason :clap:

Thats true with children.....but a staffy killed 2 of my cats and ripped my labradors throat and ear to peices.

I'm really sorry to hear that Janice :( I know how that affects your opinion of a breed.

My dog was attacked a while back by two white germen shepherds and that made me feel the same way about them for a very long time. It took me meeting one and learning about them to change my views. I now understand much more about dog behavour and feel in every case it is the dog that should be punished and not the breed.

I think this study although American based was put together using a large amount of data and over a realistic period..........it just emphasises the notion of why 'the layman' considers these breeds of dog to be dangerous.

The element of RISK involved with people who own these dogs is far greater than thoses from other breeds.

The Clifton Study Report
Thankyou for posting this, it actually goes to emphasise a point I made earlier - that a larger more powerful dog will cause more damage should it be put in a position where it attacks.

You say risk - yes I agree, the risk is increased for people owning these breeds. But does that mean an entire breed should be banned? Where does it stop then?

Lets face it, we all experience and are capable of dealing with various levels of risk. If you have an accident while driving an SUV there is a much higher risk of you killing someone than if you have an accident while driving a standard family 4 door saloon.

I own a Jack Russel, and I've heard people say that they can be snappy bad tempered dogs, mine is just the opposite, loves to play and anyone who throws a ball for her is a friend for life. However, I've seen her take and kill a rabbit so I know she has it in her to be violent and I am careful not to let her get into situations where this could be a problem (never leave her alone with children for example)

I think that a well fed, well looked after, happy dog is far less likely to be a problem regardless of breed. Yes dogs are pack animals and have an instinct to protect/dominate but a responsible owner knows this and takes the proper precautions and ultimately it MUST be the owner who is held responsible.

Spot on. What I read here is truly responsible dog ownership. (y)

Below is a link to the story of Otis, this is how the DDA currently works out and will only get worse if other breeds are added. It is quite old because stories like this stopped getting press coverage :(

http://www.endangereddogs.com/EDDROtis.htm

Is this really the way forward?

The question still remains as to whether a dog of any breed, or a specific breed, is born dangerous

I think that depends on the breeding. I'm quite sure that ill advised matings from parents with aggressive tendencies can produce an animal which is inherently dangerous. There's no getting away from breed size though in assessing the risk - a snappy Yorkshire Terrier is one thing, but the same traits in a Rotty have to be taken very seriously as the possible consequences are obviously much more severe.
- or does the upbring make a dog dangerous?

In many cases - yes - for the same reason that upringing is responsible for a lot of criminal behaviour. Many people display the same half baked attitude to everything, driving and maintaining their car - you name it, you can see it everywhere. They don't mean to produce criminal kids or dangerous animals, they do so by neglect and their general lack of responsibility.

I don't think there's any easy answer to your question Richard, it needs to be made more difficult to own a dog of certain breeds, basic obedience training made compulsory for owners, and enforcement of the legislation, but that costs money so I don't see it happening. :shrug:

Back