Dog Photographer

Name
Lin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just wondering if there are many canine photographers on this forum to share tips with? Worcestershire/Gloucestershire area

Best advice I can give is to have someone with you to attract the dogs attention. Always worked for me with our dog, Willow.

Attachments

• 232943950_812137886166621_8151108079721208472_n.jpg
    232943950_812137886166621_8151108079721208472_n.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi Lin, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy"

I used to photograph dogs (I would say shoot but with my avatar thats unfortunate) for a living. Welcome to ~TP

top tip - when an owner says they sit what they mean is they'll sit for me if I stay between the camera and them

Woof woof, woof woof woof, woof :welcome:

Hi Lin ;)

I used to photograph dogs (I would say shoot but with my avatar thats unfortunate) for a living. Welcome to ~TP

top tip - when an owner says they sit what they mean is they'll sit for me if I stay between the camera and them
Thank you for the welcome! I also shoot clays as well as dogs (dogs only with camera though!)

A lot of instructors will check correct gun fit that way - after triple checking th gun is empty. Which it looks like this chap is doing

I thought it was a golden rule.. never ever point a gun at anyone loaded or not...

It was a charity shoot so not sure how many had done it before.. allthough they all looked at home

A lot of instructors will check correct gun fit that way - after triple checking th gun is empty. Which it looks like this chap is doing
I'm sure they could check the barrels and not point it at anything...like Kippax said I thought the golden rule was NEVER to point a gun at anyone...I've been on a gun range several times and always had it reiterated to me

I'm sure they could check the barrels and not point it at anything...like Kippax said I thought the golden rule was NEVER to point a gun at anyone...I've been on a gun range several times and always had it reiterated to me

I didn't say barrels ;) and no they can't check fit another way

maybe, but I’m not sure how practicle. The guy who did mine was very careful

but I meant my comment as an explanation not a debate
Indeed!

My DOG shoot from today.. Its hard getting 40 odd dogs to look at the camera (one at a time)

Bit of a dark dank front room so contonious lighting used (Frowned upon in talkphotogrpahy as useless but they do a great job for me :) ) £29 off ebay... not mine. customer owns them

Same again tomorrow morning with 40 odd diferent dogs :)

My DOG shoot from today.. Its hard getting 40 odd dogs to look at the camera (one at a time)

Bit of a dark dank front room so contonious lighting used (Frowned upon in talkphotogrpahy as useless but they do a great job for me :) ) £29 off ebay... not mine. customer owns them

Same again tomorrow morning with 40 odd diferent dogs :)

Loving those where Santa is swamped with multiple dogs :)

This years shots are much brighter. New lights or just better this way ?

Gaz

Last edited:
Loving those where Santa is swamped with multiple dogs :)

This years shots are much brighter. New lights or just better this way ?

Gaz

Some cheap continuos lighting.. £29 off ebay... Still cant understand why its a dirty word on these forums :)

I do lots of dog photography. All outdoors for the moment but hope to get a studio going at some point. My advice would be wear clothes you aren't bothered getting dirty. Don't shoot the dogs for the first 5 minutes or so and try and shoot from as low as you can manage. I often lie down with the camera almost on the grass. My camera has the ability to have two settings on different buttons so you can flip from wide open at an action stopping shutter speed to another setting with a slower shutter speed for lower iso. Like most photography backgrounds are just as important as the subject. Lastly try lots of different looks and if you have two bodies get a wider lens on so you can get up close. One weakness I am working on is getting enough dof to render the whole nose as well as the eyes in focus, while still getting an attractive background. I have a bad habit of shooting wide open and I am mentally making sure I get a variety of shots. Here are a few from my last shoot. Staffies are ace!

_A925046 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A924588-Edit by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A924184-Edit by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A923831 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Great fun. Really like some of the low angle ones particularly with the smaller dogs, makes such a difference.
I had to put camera on floor and take pot luck when i thought there was a shot.. every time i went low myself , half a dozen dogs would pounce on me.. all good natured but i couldnt move half the time with 50 dogs round me :)

I had to put camera on floor and take pot luck when i thought there was a shot.. every time i went low myself , half a dozen dogs would pounce on me.. all good natured but i couldnt move half the time with 50 dogs round me :)
Worked well. I've had that quite often when I shoot the dog walking group I am a member of. Good fun but I do worry about the kit and it ends up impossible to concentrate

Back