Dog Show Revisited

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No

A few weeks ago, the rain stopped me taking pictures at a local dg agility show. This weekend however, the bank holiday weather eased up enough for me to take a few shots. This was taken at a dog agility display in Weston Park, Staffordshire. It's a difficult thing to take photos of, the dogs are so quick, you blink and all of a sudden, where once there was a collie, there's now a small patch of grass, which in itself is fine, it's just not quite what I wanted to capture for posterity.

Sorry to bump this, does anyone have any comments?

I'd like to do a lot more photography at dog shows and dog agility shows, has anyone had any experience of this, and have any hints and tips?

Ta

Dave

Never tried it but I've been asked to go along to a couple of shows sometime soon. To be honest I'm a bit nervous about it because of the speed the dogs move too, can't see it being too easy.

I'd imagine the owner of the dog above would be well pleased with that shot :)

Never tried it but I've been asked to go along to a couple of shows sometime soon. To be honest I'm a bit nervous about it because of the speed the dogs move too, can't see it being too easy.

I'd imagine the owner of the dog above would be well pleased with that shot :)

Thanks dod.
This was my first time taking shots of fast moving dogs, and it was quite a gloomy day too.
ISO was alternating between 400 and 800. Most of the time I was at 300mm on my budget Tamron zoom, and with my trusty 350D. Shutter speed was set to 1/800, I wasn't sure that would be enough, but it seems to have been ok.
I've got a few more to process, so I'll port those once I've worked through them.

Where are the shows you are going to?

Up in Inverness, one of the girls who keeps her horse with us also has agility dogs, I think they're of a fairly high standard but I don't really know too much yet. I was volunteered by the wife a while ago and have been putting it off :D

Dont really feel I can offer critique as such Dave, but I do like this pic better than the first, probably helped by the fact that you can see the dogs eyes.

I spoke to a neighbour the other day and she & a friend enter their dogs in agility classes, she showed me pics that a guy had taken and printed at a show... no better than yours tbh.
She said he does very well at the shows as everyone wants pics of their dogs from each show.

Dont really feel I can offer critique as such Dave, but I do like this pic better than the first, probably helped by the fact that you can see the dogs eyes.

I spoke to a neighbour the other day and she & a friend enter their dogs in agility classes, she showed me pics that a guy had taken and printed at a show... no better than yours tbh.
She said he does very well at the shows as everyone wants pics of their dogs from each show.

Thanks Glo, that's very kind of you to say.

I've tried emailing the group that were displaying their dogs on the weekend, Agility Addicts, but their email address doesn't seem to work. Will give them another try today.

I prefer the second shot too, it's actually two exposures. The original looked like an overexposed field with a labrador shaped hole in it....

Both can probably take a bit more sharpening as look a bit soft.
Watch the background, orange fences dont help ;)

.. fast moving woggies .. if you can focus on an area then switch to manual focusing, and use machinegun mode.

Both can probably take a bit more sharpening as look a bit soft.
Watch the background, orange fences dont help ;)

.. fast moving woggies .. if you can focus on an area then switch to manual focusing, and use machinegun mode.

Cheers for the comments. Yeah, that fence was a bloody nightmare!!!
Tried sharpening, but it's an area I'm rubbish at getting right. I never notice any difference!!

Can't wait to get out and try some more of this, what a great way to spend a day!

Back