Doing an album cover

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I've been asked by a local band to take some pictures of them for their website, and now to do their album cover too. I don't want to seem like some greedy photographer milking any situation I come across, but I have been recommended to get a contract based on a percentage of album sales from friends. Me personally, if they gave me £50 I'd smile and be happy. I'm not sure whether the album is going to the shops or just to record labels to promote the band. I think its the 2nd option really. The band isn't exactly rich, so I don't want to put pressure on them. I'm such a shy/nice guy that I'll I'm stuck between doing the right thing and doing whats best for me. This is why I hate money. I hate that theres a part of me thinking about asking people for money, that I can profit from something instead of just enjoying the shoot.

Local bands like this come and go all the time and when they record an album it's rare that that they sell that many. If you were a full time pro and they'd approached you knowing that, then you'd be justified probably in thinking about royalties etc. As it is, they could just as easily ask someone else to do it, and you lose the opportunity to do a job you'd enjoy and gain valuable experience from.

You stand to get more work in the long term by doing this and making a good job of it. It's still a commercial venture the band is engaging in, so I think you should charge a sensible amount for the time you'll obviously be putting into this. There's always the remote possibility that the album sells 50 million copies of course, buy hey - that's life! :LOL:

1 off payment, plus your name on the cover just in case it does sell well ;)

How about a one-off fee with a clause along the lines that if the band/album does well (say 100,000+ copies), then you would receive a percentage from that? Surely that's got to be a decent & fair compromise?

I like Biggus solution...

How you gonna do it Pete? A Pink floyd style Storm Whathisface or just random band shot?

EosD said:
I like Biggus solution...

How you gonna do it Pete? A Pink floyd style Storm Whathisface or just random band shot?

Not a clue :) But then, like my colour shot I started off with no idea how to do it, and ended up with a very nice picture :) I'm sure I'll be inspired on the night. I bought a copy of NME to browse through for ideas.

As far as the album is concerned you would want to find out from the band what they want to say with it (if anything) so that your cover will compliment it.

Steep said:
As far as the album is concerned you would want to find out from the band what they want to say with it (if anything) so that your cover will compliment it.

Yer definetly. I've also got the joy of no desk at the mo while I'm decorating :) I'm working off the top of my tower. They liked one of my other pieces, the green ball with the light around it, so I'm guessing they want something cool. Its going to be at night too, so using the flash is a must.

why not get them to pose, get a long shutter, then run round them with a torch......or something

EosD said:
why not get them to pose, get a long shutter, then run round them with a torch......or something

Cos I might look very very very silly ;)

petemc said:
EosD said:

Cos I might look very very very silly ;)

its all in the name of art! [smilie=t:

Albums generally have a title track, and more often than not, the front cover subject is normally depicting something along those lines, so maybe ask them for that info?

petemc said:
I've been asked by a local band to take some pictures of them for their website, and now to do their album cover too. I don't want to seem like some greedy photographer milking any situation I come across, but I have been recommended to get a contract based on a percentage of album sales from friends. Me personally, if they gave me £50 I'd smile and be happy. I'm not sure whether the album is going to the shops or just to record labels to promote the band. I think its the 2nd option really. The band isn't exactly rich, so I don't want to put pressure on them. I'm such a shy/nice guy that I'll I'm stuck between doing the right thing and doing whats best for me. This is why I hate money. I hate that theres a part of me thinking about asking people for money, that I can profit from something instead of just enjoying the shoot.

You'll never get a percentage of sales. It's standard to get a one off fee. Usualy a photographer will license his work for usage in certain markets, e.g, magazine and 40 sheet poster only, so if the client wants to use them in newspapers, or on a website, then he would have to renegotiate the license. However, in music, you'll never get royalty usage, and even if you got the band to agree, as soon as they're signed to anyone, their agent/lawyer will soon cut you out of any contract.

They're an unsigned band ( I assume), so just shoot for a minimal fee, and stay on their good side. They may stay loyal to you, or get their agent to consider you should they make it big.

Back