Donington Historic Festival

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a wander down to the Historic Festival at Donny yesterday with @MattyW. It was my first track event in around 8 months. I felt pretty deflated afterwards on the way home. Perhaps it was just down to being a little ring rusty?!

Anyway, it was quite an eventful day for one reason or another but these are some of my favourites. We had all kinds of weather, sun, rain, snow and some 'orrible wind!

Donington Historic Festival 2016
by David Raynham, on Flickr

#8 - 1/8 pan

Last edited:

#9 - Striking colour schemes

#10 - Some beautiful light around at times to work with

#11 - And again!

#14 - Batmobile BM

#15 - Trumpets

#16 - Winners

Great set, I especially like the pitlane ones. I went today and the weather was much better, no snow today!!

You had nothing to feel deflated about, fantastic set. There are some new and interesting angles that I've not seen from Donington before.

Number 14 and number 1 are my favourites.

Shouldn't feel deflated, some nice images in there.

I don't think I'll even bother processing my shots after seeing these!
Excellent compositions, great processing and a really good set to represent the day.
Nothing to fee deflated about, these are top drawer, and I'm sure you'll smash Brands Hatch to bits next week too!

Enjoyed looking at these David a nice varied set 1 is the clear winner for me closely followed by 5 a stunning pan
Thanks Gary, glad you enjoyed 'em!

Great set, I especially like the pitlane ones. I went today and the weather was much better, no snow today!!
Cheers. I wish I'd got to see the Super Tourers, maybe next year.

Number 1 and 2, weirdly, work. I'd never think about taking them that way.
Ahhh, cool. Glad they work. :D

You had nothing to feel deflated about, fantastic set. There are some new and interesting angles that I've not seen from Donington before.

Number 14 and number 1 are my favourites.
Cheers Sam. It's hard to get new stuff. The fencing really plays havoc with compositions.

Shouldn't feel deflated, some nice images in there.
Thanks Jon.

I don't think I'll even bother processing my shots after seeing these!
Excellent compositions, great processing and a really good set to represent the day.
Nothing to fee deflated about, these are top drawer, and I'm sure you'll smash Brands Hatch to bits next week too!
Steady on you sarcastic f***!! Waiting to see the worldies. Chop chop.

A good set, 1 and 2 are different but good, also like the last one.
Thanks Paul.

A very god selection from the day, it looks like you covered a lot of ground. Liking the Mk1 Cortina too.

Excellent work David, really enjoyed these. #1 is everything I look for in a motorsport photograph, love it!

#12 and 14 are fantastic compositions in the paddock as well, I'd be thrilled with them personally.

Loving the Lotus Cortina shot, but oddly I'm drawn to the Batmobile Beemer (#14)

Thanks. The Batmobiles were sweet, this one probably had the best colour scheme. Was immaculate too!

A very god selection from the day, it looks like you covered a lot of ground. Liking the Mk1 Cortina too.

Certainly did! We even pulled an early morning sunrise in in the Peak District. I was well and truly done in when i got home!

Excellent work David, really enjoyed these. #1 is everything I look for in a motorsport photograph, love it!

#12 and 14 are fantastic compositions in the paddock as well, I'd be thrilled with them personally.

Many thanks Chris. Really appreciate your comments. :)

This is a great set, loving numbers 9, 12, and 14.
Only think i would change about 9 is stepping to the left to get more number board and less rear quarter.

This is a great set, loving numbers 9, 12, and 14.
Only think i would change about 9 is stepping to the left to get more number board and less rear quarter.

Thanks mate. Yes, i think you're right. At the time my main focal point was the rear end rather than the number. In hindsight though i think you're right. Will consider it for next time. (y)

Number 1 for me, really interesting perspective.

Cheers BMG.

Hi,

I am trying to research spectator side photo locations at Donington in advance of a visit.

Would you mind sharing (if you remember), your locations for track shots #3, #4, #5, #6 and #8 please? Were these all a clear view or were any shot through a wire fence? Also what was the longest lens you required for these?

thanks!

Hi,

I am trying to research spectator side photo locations at Donington in advance of a visit.

Would you mind sharing (if you remember), your locations for track shots #3, #4, #5, #6 and #8 please? Were these all a clear view or were any shot through a wire fence? Also what was the longest lens you required for these?

thanks!

I'm sure David will correct, but from looking at the pictures I'd say.....

#3 Inside Circuit opposite exhibition centre looking towards Essess (and Melbourne Loop in background)
#4, #5 outside of circuit at Old Hairpin, #5 taken as car is leaving Old Hairpin on the way to Starkeys Bridge
#6 Inside Circuit as #3 but a little further on looking down start/finish straight
#8 Inside Circuit just after Redgate, on the way down to Hollywood

As you can see from many of the pictures, there is significant catch fencing on the outside of the circuit, though at places like the Old Hairpin, you can stand on the banking and see over it. There is less obtrusive fencing from the inside, but in recent years there is generally more of it about.

Really nice set David, not something that has been of interest to me, but I really liked looking at these, one day I may give it a go!

It's a long time since I've shot any motorsport. Or any proper photography for that matter!

I'll be honest, I'm crap with locations. Just walk around and shoot what you want. Explore the whole circuit, do both inside and outside loops and experiment with stuff. Shoot through stuff, buildings, fences, people etc. I just used a 70-200, sometimes with a 1.7tc on FF so a maximum of 340mm.

Really great stuff.

Back