weekly Don's 52 for 2022 - Catchup

Wow, great set of pictures, I really like number 2 and 5 the most, and I would probably go for number 5 because it's a different aspect of a vehicle and well framed.

(Nice car BTW)

I think I actually prefer number 3.

I love the reflection of the model in the paint (although I have to say, I'd have been a bit funny about letting something rest on my paintwork - I used to be obsessed with detailing).

And I like the fact that you've clearly used a much bigger model than I did, so it looks more a 'real' car. Therefore I like that the rose in the background serves as a sort of Easter egg to its real size.

Thank you. The reflection and the rose made it for me. I wasn't sure about the rest of the background. I must admit that I didn't even notice the rose until I saw the image on screen last night.
(I do understand your point about the paintwork.)

3 and 5 for me.
Well executed and nice to see an Aston image.

Thank you Peter. They are a thing of beauty.

Nice toy car - nice real car!

A perfect "Mid Life Crisis"! (If I remember correctly...)

Like that Donal! Lovely shot and a good set

Thank you Simon.

Wow, great set of pictures, I really like number 2 and 5 the most, and I would probably go for number 5 because it's a different aspect of a vehicle and well framed.

I didn't choose 5 because I thought that it was a bit subjective. I love the "Power Beauty Soul" that flashes up when the ignition is switched on. It sums up perfectly how I feel about her when she powers up.

Great set of images and an impressive car. I think I'm with you on the chosen shot.

Nice Tractor Donal. Did you know that the DB stands for David Brown who used to make tractors.

Pete

Great images Donal, I like your toy Aston but I'm jealous of your real Aston...

Great set of images and an impressive car. I think I'm with you on the chosen shot.
Thanks Helen.

Nice Tractor Donal. Did you know that the DB stands for David Brown who used to make tractors.

Pete

I did indeed. I'm reasonably aware of the (troubled?) history all the way back to Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin, although my main love is the way it drives.
Lamborghini was also a tractor manufacturer. There seems to be much more proft in tractors!!!

Great images Donal, I like your toy Aston but I'm jealous of your real Aston...
Thanks Bill. I'm madly jealous of the wonderful mountains that appear in some of your photos!

Week 44 - Autumn.

Hmmm... Autumn hasn't really arrived here yet. We haven't had a frost yet, so the trees haven't turned red yet! The upside, is that the last few weeks we have had absolutely fantastic weather. Sadly, this weekend, it rained solidly apart from a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon.

1) I like this shot, of an autumn tree that has shed its leaves, because the bird is in focus. It doesn't look that way now that I have uploaded it, but c'est la vie.

PB061656-1k.jpg

2) The same tree, taken from much nearer.

PB061715-1k.jpg

3) I like this photo the best, but it requires a bit of shoehorning. This is a photo of birds migrating into the sunset, which of course they do every autumn. The fact that it was taken at 4:25 in the afternoon means that it could have only been taken in autumn.

PB061803-1k.jpg

So, number 3 is my choice. It is probably the least "on topic", but I think that it is best to pick the photo that I like the best!

I like the three shots Donal. I like how the seagull is perfectly framed by the branches of the tree in #1. The tree in #2 is perfectly exposed with the dark underbrush leading up to it, but it seems off kilter a bit. I think that you chose the right one but I would have been tempted to crop out the bottom quarter of the frame. Maybe a 16X9 crop?

I like the three shots Donal. I like how the seagull is perfectly framed by the branches of the tree in #1. The tree in #2 is perfectly exposed with the dark underbrush leading up to it, but it seems off kilter a bit. I think that you chose the right one but I would have been tempted to crop out the bottom quarter of the frame. Maybe a 16X9 crop?
You are right about No. 2 being off kilter. Even worse, I have another, almost identical shot which I intended to use!!!!!!
I'll have a play with the cropping on 3 tonight.

Week 45 - Snappers Choice and Tech - Leading lines

I went out yesterday to try some wildlife shots. I had mixed results.

1) This deer went past but the sun was behind her. The photos came out a lot better than I expected. Apparently, there was a stag around, but I didn't see it.

PB121998-1k.jpg

2) I was quite pleased with this shot of a red kite. I've cropped it 100% to show the detail here.

PB122086-1k.jpg

Today, I decided to put some thought into leading lines. So I went to Brookwood Military Cemetary.
3) American Rememberance service.
PB132197-1k.jpg

4)

PB132261-1k.jpg

4 is my choice this week.

Great set Donal. I do like the action that you've captured with the deer shot but I think that the image you've chosen is definitely the strongest one. Really well composed.

The Remembrance photos have an emotional connection that makes them a strong image. Good decision.

Good set but the chosen one wins by a mile - especially this week.

All well captured - the deer is great but a shame about the light. Well done anyway.
Your chosen shot is very atmospheric and well composed.. it would be my choice too.

Great set Donal. I do like the action that you've captured with the deer shot but I think that the image you've chosen is definitely the strongest one. Really well composed.

As Bill says excellent composition and very appropriate for the date.

The Remembrance photos have an emotional connection that makes them a strong image. Good decision.

Good set but the chosen one wins by a mile - especially this week.

Nice set Donal. Your chosen shot is a cracker.

Nice set of pictures and your chosen shot is a very powerful image.

All well captured - the deer is great but a shame about the light. Well done anyway.
Your chosen shot is very atmospheric and well composed.. it would be my choice too.

Thank you all for the comments.

I'm finding these weekly themes incredibly educational. This week it was fascinating to be in a location with leading lines everywhere, but the low Sun meant that there were very few photos to be had. I feel that I learned a lot on this excersise.
I will go back again at different times of the day to see if I can make a small collection.

I did a "Battlefield Tour" a few years ago and came back with loads of what could be called "holiday snaps". I'd like to go back and try to make a nice photo record one day.

I've definitely struggled the last two weeks. With the short days, I can only get out at the weekends - and these last two weekends have been totally overcast!
So, this weekend I went to the Aldershot Military Museum looking for "Destruction" and perhaps some "Ornamental" stuff too.

1) They have a small collection of military vehicles.
PB272820-1k.jpg

2 Indoors, they had some interesting stuff, but I mainly photographed reflections of myself in the glass cases!!!! The reflections are not too bad in this one, and I quite like it - so this is my choice.

PB272863-1k.jpg

Well those things have destroyed many a life so it is on theme.
You've caught the light well and managed to keep the background dark.
Like you I find the challenge easier in the months with more natural light.

Nice couple of images Donal - I think you've picked the right one for the main theme post

Great choice Donal and you done an exceptional job on the processing. Gives it a moody, almost sinister look.

Oh dear!!! I've been busy this month, and I haven't got time to finish my last 6 photos. People are arriving in just over an hour, so I shall make my excuses tomorrow.

Here's what I've got.

Ornament :-

PC314325-1k.jpg

Week 48 - Curves

PC314235-1k.jpg

Showcase. My favourite shot of the year.
P9243478-1k.jpg

Happy New Year everybody - and a huge "Thank You" to everyone who offered advice during the year.

Happy New Year Donal, you final three there are very good shots. I really like the heron.

He looks very regal. Great end to the year and well done on getting through the 52.

Great catch up and a beautiful image of the heron for your showcase Don.

Happy New Year Donal, you final three there are very good shots. I really like the heron.

Thank you Bill. Happy New Year to you too!

He looks very regal. Great end to the year and well done on getting through the 52.

Thanks Helen. I'm still 3 shots short of the 52. I'll try to get them this weekend. I started to fall behind after a two week holiday in July. I never quite got back on top of it since then. However, I'm fully committed. As a beginner, I cannot imagine a better way to learn.

Great catch up and a beautiful image of the heron for your showcase Don.

Thanks Simon.

Back