Don't Forget the water

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I was reminded last year and I'm sure it has been said somewhere on here but please don't forget to get some water out for the birds as well as food. Keep checking it's not frozen over through the day if you can. (y)

nice thought! just broke the ice on the bird bath here, but its not to thick at the moment. (y)

I was reminded last year and I'm sure it has been said somewhere on here but please don't forget to get some water out for the birds as well as food. Keep checking it's not frozen over through the day if you can. (y)
:agree:So important (y)

Good reminder. I have a planter with water in outside the window where I sit at the computer and the fun I have watching the birds drinking and bathing more than makes up for the effort of keeping water there for them.

I am looking for a heated birdbath at the moment - I was wondering will an aquarium heater work???

Regards

mike

Interesting idea, I'm using the manual go out and crack the ice method at the moment :LOL:

I am looking for a heated birdbath at the moment - I was wondering will an aquarium heater work???

Regards

mike

Thinking about it wouldn't something with a fountain type pump be a better idea? as long as the water is moving it won't freeze.

I would think the main problem will be a frozen pump though :shrug:

Regards

mike

Well the heater itself would obviously be OK as it's designed to be submerged but you would need to ensure the plug etc is kept dry.

With fish ponds a rubber ball floating around on the surface can be enough to prevent ice from forming in freezing temperatures but it would struggle to work in a shallow bird dish in really low temps.

Well the heater itself would obviously be OK as it's designed to be submerged but you would need to ensure the plug etc is kept dry.

With fish ponds a rubber ball floating around on the surface can be enough to prevent ice from forming in freezing temperatures but it would struggle to work in a shallow bird dish in really low temps.

Just checked out back and the kids paddling pool is frozen completely and that is about 8 inches deep :runaway:

Refreshed mine before I left this morning. The mini pond is fully frozen though, one of the cats was sitting on it :eek:

Back