Dont fret about getting a macro lens - seriously!

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I wanted to get lighter again (equipment weight), get the old setup out, but maybe use the Raynox as that is one FINE piece of glass and I recommend that for anyone. I'm almost tempted to bin the macro lens I was THAT impressed with what you can do on the cheap. (I wont bin it, but maybe use it for product shots where sharpness is a bit more of a requirement) - but dont fret about macro lenses, overrated ;)

If you can get hold of a set of extension tubes, have a nifty fifty f1.8 (most of you probably do!), munch some pringles and make a home made diffuser and purchase a raynox dcr250 - you're set. You dont even need full frame, a crop sensor gets you that little bit closer :)

The diffuser is the packaging from the DCR250 so no need to purchase that part :) and a hair bobble or elastic band (hair bobble might be a bit more resilient to staying stretched).

The first image, I accidentally left the 21mm section of my extension tube on. Thought blooming heck, I have to get really close to this one, but the only cropping I done, was a tiny little crop to compose the image a little better. After this I took the extension tube off, in case people don't have one of those, so 2-6 are purely Canon 600d, Raynox, home made diffuser. Thats it.

Even DOF with the lighting is better than the siggy plus raynox. Its lovely and soft as the pringles tube extends past the lens by about 2 inches, instead of "on top" of the bugs. Loving this new setup.

Shot at F10 too !

1.. So this is the 21mm extension tube section plus raynox dcr250 - tiny bit of cropping just to put this off-centre. Amazed at how close this gets - and how sharp! The only regret is that its two bugs banging away lol
14519458247_fbcf1f5e8f_b.jpg

2.. About 40% cropped on this image
14702727791_ae1683e19e_b.jpg

3.. using the manual focus ring on the nifty, set it to infinity, gives you a few more cm's working distance from the subject.
14519239178_b5c5cae908_b.jpg

14519457917_aa58093845_b.jpg

14519241389_ba4379af46_b.jpg

14725770693_fc5120cd0d_b.jpg

This will be my <preferred> set up over the macro lens. I'll try it with the 13mm extension tubes tomorrow plus raynox on the 600d, so I can get almost as close as the 21mm ext tube plus raynox but have a little more distance.

Now its your turn!

Last edited:
Simply superb Carl.... #1 did you crop a little off the bottom if you did put it back in as you have chopped off the fellas feet.. Not really one that it normally bothers me but as they are happy little red soldiers beetles think you should include all body parts

The light is very good on these though are you using a double layer of diffusion?

I thought I wanted to get lighter again (equipment weight), get the old setup out, but maybe use the Raynox as that is one FINE piece of glass and I recommend that for anyone. I'm almost tempted to bin the macro lens I was THAT impressed with what you can do on the cheap. (I wont bin it, but maybe use it for product shots where sharpness is a bit more of a requirement) - but dont fret about macro lenses, overrated ;)

If you can get hold of a set of extension tubes, have a nifty fifty f1.8 (most of you probably do!), munch some pringles and make a home made diffuser and purchase a raynox dcr250 - you're set. You dont even need full frame, a crop sensor gets you that little bit closer :)

The diffuser is the packaging from the DCR250 so no need to purchase that part :) and a hair bobble or elastic band (hair bobble might be a bit more resilient to staying stretched).

The first image, I accidentally left the 21mm section of my extension tube on. Thought blooming heck, I have to get really close to this one, but the only cropping I done, was a tiny little crop to compose the image a little better. After this I took the extension tube off, in case people don't have one of those, so 2-6 are purely Canon 600d, Raynox, home made diffuser. Thats it.

Even DOF with the lighting is better than the siggy plus raynox. Its lovely and soft as the pringles tube extends past the lens by about 2 inches, instead of "on top" of the bugs. Loving this new setup.

Shot at F10 too !

1.. So this is the 21mm extension tube section plus raynox dcr250 - tiny bit of cropping just to put this off-centre. Amazed at how close this gets - and how sharp! The only regret is that its two bugs banging away lol
14519458247_fbcf1f5e8f_b.jpg

2.. About 40% cropped on this image
14702727791_ae1683e19e_b.jpg

3.. using the manual focus ring on the nifty, set it to infinity, gives you a few more cm's working distance from the subject.
14519239178_b5c5cae908_b.jpg

14519457917_aa58093845_b.jpg

14519241389_ba4379af46_b.jpg

14725770693_fc5120cd0d_b.jpg

This will be my <preferred> set up over the macro lens. I'll try it with the 13mm extension tubes tomorrow plus raynox on the 600d, so I can get almost as close as the 21mm ext tube plus raynox but have a little more distance.

Now its your turn!

May I borrow your Hair Bobble please Carl :D:D:D

lovely set by the way

Les ;)

me too, need some cheering up, being a monday and im back to work. a few more minutes and i'll have the pressure piled on me.

Pressure has started from me have the worst customer in the world on the phone.... IT based btw

Great set with (relatively speaking) the simplest of kit but a good eye behind the camera :)

Simply superb Carl.... #1 did you crop a little off the bottom if you did put it back in as you have chopped off the fellas feet.. Not really one that it normally bothers me but as they are happy little red soldiers beetles think you should include all body parts

The light is very good on these though are you using a double layer of diffusion?
Oops. Dont tell brash, he'll beat me to death! :LOL: It was a double layer, yes, though the raynox packaging just about managed to fit over the end of the tube. I have a larger piece that I may cut up so it fits more snuggly :) Cheers bryn

Oops. Dont tell brash, he'll beat me to death! :LOL: It was a double layer, yes, though the raynox packaging just about managed to fit over the end of the tube. I have a larger piece that I may cut up so it fits more snuggly :) Cheers bryn

Instead of having it snug why not dome it... it will spread the light a little more in turn make it softer to sellotape on, I use surgical tape the meshed type as it leaves no sticky residue.

There is a space between sto fen and diffuser layer not clear here really but there is a 5mm or so gap.

Last edited:
Instead of having it snug why not dome it... it will spread the light a little more in turn make it softer to sellotape on, I use surgical tape the meshed type as it leaves no sticky residue.

There is a space between sto fen and diffuser layer not clear here really but there is a 5mm or so gap.
ah right. very cool. I got enough of the stuff to try that, will give that a go later or in the morning. Got to pop the dog to the vets tonight so most likely the morning.

Does the raynox just fit over the end of a lens or is it where you reverse the lens? Sorry for the noob question

The Raynox is a supplementary lens and screws onto the front of a lens.

Does the raynox just fit over the end of a lens or is it where you reverse the lens? Sorry for the noob question

The raynox can screw on but does come with adapter (spring loaded) that just pops on front of lens... just so you know its nothing to do with reversing lens not sure it would work on reversed lens.

A hell of a series on shots Carl and a brilliant write up.

cracking shots... the one thing that puts me off shooting more macro is i hate spiders, bugs and creepy crawlies ( yeah im a wuss i know ).
if a moth comes into the house at night i immediately make a sharp exit.
can just about cope with butterflies and dragon flies in daytime and maybe some ladybirds but thats about my limit.
Unless i can shoot spiders from about 10 feet away its a no go for me they just give me the heebie jeebies when seen normal sized so when magnified in macro shots , its just urghhhh!

A hell of a series on shots Carl and a brilliant write up.

cheers ian , means a lot coming from you bud :)

I was speaking to bryn and I'm hoping he's posted something somewhere about suggesting a sticky for cheap macro setups because some people are on budgets, as I was (still am) which was funny because at the same time he talked to me about it, I just finished writing my first blog on doing a cheap setup http://www.cdhpix.co.uk/blog/2014/7/getting-into-macro-photography---on-the-cheap plug plug

If the mods did do it, I'd like @Tintin124 to get the credit on the thread with the first post as it was his idea, not mine but I think most of us could add to such a thread, for others getting into macro and don't know if its "their thing" or not until they've tried it and the best way to find out, is with good, inexpensive equipment, so if bryn is about, get a move on and nag the mods mate :tumbleweed:

cracking shots... the one thing that puts me off shooting more macro is i hate spiders, bugs and creepy crawlies ( yeah im a wuss i know ).
can just about cope with butterflies and dragon flies in daytime and maybe some ladybirds but thats about my limit.
Unless i can shoot spiders from about 10 feet away its a no go for me they just give me the heebie jeebies when seen normal sized so when magnified in macro shots , its just urghhhh!

Same here dean, Im a big girlie with bugs :runaway:(i like using that icon lol) but I am very, very , very slowly getting accustomed to their freakish alien looking faces

Sounds like a very worthwhile thing to do re. setting up a sticky. Very useful I think.

I'll have a nose through your blog later. In work at the mo and despite the fact I can't really be bothered to get my arse into gear, I need to lol.

Sounds like a very worthwhile thing to do re. setting up a sticky. Very useful I think.

I'll have a nose through your blog later. In work at the mo and despite the fact I can't really be bothered to get my arse into gear, I need to lol.
its monday. you're allowed to be un-motivated :)

its monday. you're allowed to be un-motivated :)

haha, well technically, it's my Friday.... I work shifts. 10 hrs, 3 in , 2 off, 3 in , 2 off.... repeat (odd 3 days off to make it a full 37.5 hrs per week over the year). However, I finish this shift at midnight tonight and I'm off for 8 days... ;)

haha, well technically, it's my Friday.... I work shifts. 10 hrs, 3 in , 2 off, 3 in , 2 off.... repeat (odd 3 days off to make it a full 37.5 hrs per week over the year). However, I finish this shift at midnight tonight and I'm off for 8 days... ;)
ah - thats good to have that break. Dont know if I could do shift work though. My body clock is all to hell as it is - I did wonder why the hell you post at 3am lol

ah - thats good to have that break. Dont know if I could do shift work though. My body clock is all to hell as it is - I did wonder why the hell you post at 3am lol

hehe, yup, if I'm on the midnight finish, home by 12:30... work on shots taken earlier that afternoon. Don't always work midnight shifts though. I do have day shifts as well. I like shifts, beats monotonous 9-5's ;).

Sorry, thread has been hi-jacked.

You are getting some serious sharpness, particularly evident in that first image and some lovely lighting. Great setup/write up and you are absolutely correct, you don't need much of a budget to start delivering amazing macro shots.

Before I started shooting macro I used to be a bit wary of spiders. I wasn't exactly scared of them, I just didn't like to get too close if you know what I mean. Now I can get right up to a spider, even the big hairy ones with enormous fangs and have now qualms about holding them in my hand. I think I understand their behaviour better and know that they aren't really waiting to pounce on me. More likely they would much rather be left alone as life is difficult enough for them without me getting in the way. You should try macro; overcoming your phobias of bugs might just be a pleasant side effect, and you'll no doubt end up with some images to be proud of.

Last edited:
There's a certain moderator on this forum who has fits whenever I post spider pictures on Facebook! :D

Carl, these pictures are great... It's good to see what can be done without spending a load of cash (says me)! ;)

You are getting some serious sharpness, particularly evident in that first image and some lovely lighting. Great setup/write up and you are absolutely correct, you don't need much of a budget to start delivering amazing macro shots.
Thanks tim, am well happy with what can be, so is my arms from the weight reduction :)

There's a certain moderator on this forum who has fits whenever I post spider pictures on Facebook! :D

Carl, these pictures are great... It's good to see what can be done without spending a load of cash (says me)! ;)

cheers si, most appreciated fella :)

I have yet to start the post... but will start it and if enough of us poke the mods we should be able to make it a sticky. :D

Sorry haven't read the whole thread so not sure if its been asked, but are these shots using a tripod! Whenever I try to attempt a bit of macro in the garden with tubes I find im too shaky or the wind is causing to much movement?

Sorry haven't read the whole thread so not sure if its been asked, but are these shots using a tripod! Whenever I try to attempt a bit of macro in the garden with tubes I find im too shaky or the wind is causing to much movement?
No tripod and only 160th sec and I got wobbly hands so anyone can do these :)

Back