Don't mention the border!

Name
Steve Green
Edit My Images
Yes
Just sharing a picture I took this Sunday whilst out walking.

If I had taken it earlier it could have been entered in a competition and got more votes than my other effort.........or could it!

iceretry.jpg

Nice Steve! About that border though. :getmecoat

I find that a poor composition tbh, but the border is stunning.

/runs away

Nice image m8 :)

Like a kid with a big black marker pen for the 1st time ;)

Good shot btw.

So pleased it is not just me taking stick about borders !?! :clap:

You could crop it slightly - you know a few centimetres from the top, bottom, left and right ... :smilenod: :laugh1:

Potential for a great shot - nice one !

Seriously though - it could probably do with a slice off the bottom ? Imho.

Yep like the colours................... the picture not the border :dizzy:

Yes the border gives it child like quality of the like not seen since "Take Hart"

How do Greeny;)

I like this image, but feel if the twiggy stuff is removed from the top of the scene the foreground becomes so very much stronger :)

I think the image would have been greatly improved if the border completely covered the the shot:whistle2:

Haha, Jk Steve:innocent:

Where was the invite to the wedding:suspect1:

much better now Steve, good border and good cropping to improve the compostiion

Steve you and i have spoke about this before. For web viewing the border is fine, fine. But completely pointless for printing.

Cropping well i'm not a fan of cropping. Composition should be done with the camera not with Photo shop. The shot was better as it was in my opinion, the vegetation in the background said more about the environment, gave it some context

Sean_Mcr said:
Cropping well i'm not a fan of cropping. Composition should be done with the camera not with Photo shop.

Fair enough for most shots, but if you can't get to the correct position, don't have the correct focal length or want a different ratio Height to Width shot, then crop crop crop ;)

It's an interesting debate. I find I can get much better pictures when I use the crop route, you can centralise the subject and highlight different aspects of the original.

I understand completely what Sean says about not wanting to crop, but then it would take a lot longer to compose the shot at the point of the click.

In my opinion, the utopia is to compose the shot correctly and not crop, but that takes a lot more vision for the shot at the time of the taking. I'm just not that good yet :(

The thing is there's nothing that can quite make up for being there. You'll (we'll) learn to see far better if we do it with the camera. I don't think you've added to that shot Steve, i think you've taken away. The tree's don't look isolated now it just looks like you've cropped everything out, there's nothing to judge it against, the perspective has been lost.

I'm guessing the reason you took that shot, was because they were out there on their own, a you wanted to convey that. The best way to have done that in my opinion (and that's all it is ) was to tie it in to the the river/lake bank.

I don't have any zooms anymore, so i don't zoom in or crop out. If i get it wrong i'll let it be wrong and honest to the image i saw. I don't think that final shot is what you saw or intended.

It's true i'm not a fan of cropping, knowing that i wont crop a shot has led me to cross a street and i've ended up with a shot i never expected. Turned a corner and saw something much more interesting. You can't do that with a 2D image

It's very true most of us are lazy & just shoot without checking all the angles / positions. I remember reading about landscape photography where they advised using a tripod, not for steadiness, but to force you to slow down & think about the shot. Also read about people with medium format cameras stating the upside down image through the camera forced them to look at the geometry of the composition in a different manner, usuaully ending in a better shot.

So what I need to do is to carry a tripod everywhere with the camera hanging upside down between the legs for the perfect shot ;)

I like primes Dave because of what they force you to do.

This is my sig on another forum

"A prime imposes its point of view on you, and consequently, you can learn to impose its point of view on the world"

Not my words, but from this article http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-03-07-13.shtml by Mike johnston over on Luminous landscape.

I do have a very nice Gitzo tripod now, and i've also read the article you have.

I see the eye as a muscle, and i'm trying as best as i can to get it in shape. Long way to go, but nothing good comes easy

Edit: Link fixed

interesting read, definately food for thought....

hmmmn, good aritcle. only thing is that it makes me want to go and buy a 50mm 1.8 and the 180mm ED afs f2.8 my local shop has for a mere £250. damn insipration.

Before I got to the cropped image my immediate reaction was to get rid of the branches at the top. Seeing it cropped though I think the original is better :)

One problem with most modern cameras is the 95% or so view one gets in the finder - possibly even less with bifocals which makes composition not such and exact art. If one goes wider you can always crop . . . but if you are too narrow!

Back