Dornblüth 99.1 watch movement details

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
Camera used was a Canon 450D. Lens was a Rodenstock 50/2.8 6 element enlarging lens with stepping ring and Nikon adaptor plus: (a) Nikon extension tubes for low magnification & (b) Nikon PB5 bellows for high magnification ... also using a Nikon to Canon EOS body adaptor. Subject Illumination was via a continuous (tungsten) fibre optic ring light attached to the enlarging lens. Camera was attached to a Kaiser copy stand and focus adjusted by turning the copy stand's column rack. Apertures chosen were f5.6 to f11, the larger f5.6 aperture chosen to avoid diffraction effects at the high magnification ... effective magnification was probably f22 when working at 3x magnification (ie according to formula f' = f(m+1) where f' = effective aperture, f = set aperture and m = magnification) . As an aid to focusing, a 2¼² (6x6) slide viewer was used as a loupe (placed on the camera's monitor) to magnify the live view image; the camera's 5x and 10x magnification facility was also used in conjunction with the loupe. The live view image was very much easier to focus than the viewfinder image - even though I also tried using an angle finder with the viewfinder. Shutter was delayed by 2 seconds to damp down any 'shake' caused by me pressing the shutter release - I did not use a remote release or mirror lock. A small spirit level was also used (placed on the monitor) to ensure the camera was parallel to the copy stand base.

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

... a few more pictures follow ...

Last edited:
... and a few more ... In some of the photos the reflection of the ringlight is visible in the jewels and the polished screw head.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0247-1.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

The edge blur and flare in the last photo is caused by reflections from the side of the watch case. The watch case back is a 'display back' ie a sapphire crystal which degrades the image somewhat as the camera lens is looking through glass ie the actual movement is not exposed by removing the back.

After focusing at full aperture, exposure was measured in manual mode by manipulating the shutter speed at the taking aperture until the exposure index mark was central on the monitor. These are all original JPEG images with minimal post processing.

This was an experiment to see 1) How effective the 450D monitor could be for focusing at high magnification and 2) How effective a decent enlarging lens is when used as a macro lens.

Enlarging lenses are usually very much cheaper than marque macro objectives and for high magnification work can be very much easier to work with.

Cheers

dunk

Last edited:
lol... was then going to say "I haven't got a bloody clue what you are on about" but some cracking detail in there.

Amazingly shallow DOF as well.

:clap:
Makes you want to buy one of these beauty's - poetry in movement thats what a manual movement is.
Lovely shots.

sensational shots. I wish I had your level of expertise.

It's not that difficult .. all you need is a decent copy stand, bellows and a 6 element enlarging lens ...plus the adaptors to attach to your camera. The whole lot is cheaper than eg a marque AF macro lens. Window lighting would suffice if used with eg polystyrene reflectors (scrap packaging material). I also use ancient manual focus Micro Nikkor lenses via adaptors on Canon DSLRs ... the old Micro Nikkors can be bought for circa £60.

dunk

Last edited:
I used to have a 99.0 and you have captured everything that embodies this watch.
However you've also managed to capture the scratches and blemishes that reveal that this a unique piece that is a custom assembled. (y)

Back