Double catch lights, acceptable or not?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I was playing around with my brollys taking pics of the wife and kids individually, trying to get the hang of my triggers the other day. I had to take 3 portrait prints to my camera club and printed one from that session. I have since noticed double catch lights in the eyes due to using 2 brollys. Is it okay or do I need to clone one out of each eye?

Last edited:
Personally, if they are positioned ok and don't appear unnatural, I'd be tempted to leave them.
If they were very close to the model and appear overly large then I may do work on them.
For me, 2 catchlights don't present a problem - although any more than 2 in the eye can 'take over' the effect and look problematic at times.
I suppose the use of the 2 brollies can display skill in main/fill balance etc, give the Judge something to add on.

Personally, I'd edit the one out, usually it's less than a minute job, but it depends - if it looks natural then it works both ways.

Without seeing the pictures ,can't really give best answer ,
but it all comes down to personal taste.

If you use two lights, you'll have two catchlights. The end.

I fail to see the problem.

The catchlight police make me laugh, your image is what it is - personally I leave them in and often try to put a second catch into an image with a bright object.

Camera club judges notoriously seem to pick up on catchlights and I've heard so many say more than one catchlight detracts from the image. Personally, As long as its a well lit, posed, composed, exposed, printed and presented image, the issue of one or more catchlights is a minor issue in my view. I guess it comes down to personal taste and sometimes the lack of experience of some judges.

Camera club judges notoriously seem to pick up on catchlights

That's what happens when you break down a photograph into criteria by which you can "score" an image. You end up forgetting what photography is actually about: Communicating something. Camera club judges are only interested in scoring an image on measurable criteria as if it was some kind of exam.

They're pretty much all useless.

Back