Downhill MTB - First Attempt

Edit My Images
No
First attempt at some downhill racing shots, taken today at Hamsterely Forset. Freezing cold so came back with lots of blurry shots lol

All with the nifty fifty and the built in flash, had to push the iso up to 800. Bit of cropping and some light pp.
Do they look dark as iv'e adjusted my monitor to compensate for photobox?

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

C+C most welcome and any tips for my next outing in January :)

Great set. Like foodpoison above I'm into MTB and photography.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to action shots like this. If I got anywhere near this I'd be well chuffed!

no 4 and the last two are your best. they feel faster and more exciting.

get in a bit closer with a wider lens and a slower shutter speed next time.

Thanks for the comments (y) Def need a proper flash

A workmate rides for team NEFR and asked if I fancied coming along, I used to do a bit of cross country but never been to a downhill race. These guys are fast and slightly mental :LOL:

same here i am into MTb and photography.

i love those shots well done, what type of shutter speed were you getting, and what lens did you get.

thanks

Mark

same here i am into MTb and photography.

i love those shots well done, what type of shutter speed were you getting, and what lens did you get.

thanks

Mark

Thanks Mark :)

Was getting around 1/200 some a bit slower, All were taken with the 50mm between f2.8 and f4
Servo af and the flash on the second curtain

They look good and in answer to your question don't look dark etc on my screen.

I have the Photobox printer profiles if you want them... just PM me.

BobR

Look Here.

Basically, if you're cropping in, either make sure there is no evidence of the ground OR evidence of the ground they're on/evidence of the take off.
If you're not cropping in, make sure the scenery is pretty.
You want a fast shutter speed (above 1/200) and a small depth of field; f/4-6.
ISO of 400 should be sufficient, but try not to go to above 800.
A big flash is pretty important, and if you can set up an external flash on a tripod that would be ace.

Good luck (y)
Can't wait to get out and get some shots of my own :D

Same ere, dont race downhill abut would love to go and get some shots of it!
The pics look good mate, gave me some inspiration!!

Cheers Bob will pm you :)

Thanks foodpoison, great link there, noticed one of my pic has made it onto there via one of the team members lol

Definately good fun trying to capture them as they rocket past, had a go at some panning shots aswell but ended up chopping heads off.

Wow I inspired someone, what a great compliment :D(y)

Nice set. They look a touch light to me - certainly not dark. The flash looks too strong with the rider over lit and looking a bit cut out and stuck on in some shots. Might be worth trying some from the same point with different flash compensation settings and comparing results.

Ian

For a first attempt I think you have done very well. My son races and we have been to Hamsterly. It was at last year's winter series and we found it an awful cold, dank place. I see the bottom of the track has been re-done, that was a mud pool last year!

Getting flash off camera is the best way and what all the pros do (look at Dirt & MBUK magazines). As you have noticed these guys fly and to get anything other than an arty burry shot flash must be used, side light for texture is the key.

Thanks for sharing.

Gary.

i m quite into mountain biking myself . so do a see a lot of this type of photography . one thing i would suggest doing is to try and pan with the rider if you can get in the right position this will blur the background and give a real sense of the speed these guys fly by at . seb rodgers does and good blog on mtb photography if you re interested.

Back