Wild Dragon Fly

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
I moved out to Dubai a few months back so getting out with the camera took a back seat, but this changed last week!
Our house backs on to a man made lake which has plenty of birds and other wild life around it, albeit with chunks of concrete around the place!
Finding myself with a spare hour, I popped the 70-300 on the camera and off I went for a walk around the lake.

There was plenty on offer, but the old 70-300 just couldn't reach them, well not with the quality I wanted, it's an older lens and I find it soft o auto focus.
This little fella though was next to the path, so moving slowly I got in to position and took the shot.

Dragon Fly
by Kinvara Photography, on Flickr

I like it but accept there is room for improvement; that said, it was hand-held and manual focus so all considered I'm happy with it.
The down side though is that I'm now in the market for a new lens!
Got my eye on the Sigma 50-500 or the Nikon 80-400; anyone out there used both and could comment on the two?

Anyway, hopefully we're now settled so the camera will be out more, not to mention it's much cooler now to be outside.

Thanks for looking

Neil

That's a decent effort Neil - not an easy subject. The focus is just a little bit off, but it's a near miss and all told pretty good. I like the composition and I'm sure if these are readily available to you it won't be long until you get some top notch results.

Regarding the 2 lenses you mention, the sigma has a good reputation, search the talk equipment section and you'll find plenty of info. The Nikon lens has recently been updated. I've not used them, so take this with a pinch of salt, but the older one was reputedly sharp but with slow AF, but the new one is getting good reviews

Nice colours and I like the composition too ;)

I use a Sigma 150-500mm for Wildlife and stuff, its a great lens- I would imagine the Sigma 50-500mm would deliver stunning results

Les (y)

here's one I shot at the 500mm end

DSC02885
by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back