dragonfly thing

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been trying to get a shot of one of these guys for ages, they're so long and thin it's quite awkward to get a decent composition. This is what I ended up with, critique welcome :) Bit annoyed I cut off the tip of the wing in the first one, third is maybe a bit washed out? :(

dragonfly1.jpg

dragonfly2.jpg

dragonfly4.jpg

Good sharp shots. Not much to criticize there - these shots are tough and composition is a bonus if you can get it. Personally I'll accept happy accidents! :D

wow they are detailed! good stuff Dod, ive tried getting these little buggers too but failed miserably, good effort.

EosD said:
ive tried getting these little buggers

On sunday I walked 5 miles, sweated buckets, hurt my foot, got bitten by horseflies (cleggs) and got questioned as to why I had a camera in a woodland environment. I didn't get a single shot even though there were lots of them flying about, not one of them would sit still long enough to get focus. I even tried the 17-40 eventually and hoped to get a crop but got more dust on the sensor instead. :censored: :annoyed:

Last night within 20 metres of the house this one was sitting happy as you like. He let me take about 25 without moving a muscle. Just goes to show :p

Oh, and I've found out this is actually a damsel fly of some variety.

Thanks for the comments :)

WOW!! stunning captures, Ive done a few insect shots myself and they are very difficult to get the composition just right. I keep telling them to just hold the pose but they just do not listen, hmm, a bit like models really! :)

Gary Bagshawe said:
I keep telling them to just hold the pose but they just do not listen, hmm, a bit like models really! :)

You've got other distractions ;)

I'll not start a new thread but got this one tonight, quite pleased with it, it's a crop from the original :)

beecloseup.jpg

also updated my macro section at last :)

They are all really very good shots, 1st, 2nd and 4th are just excellent. Well done.

Great shots there, I really like the second one.

What lens did you use?

thanks, Canon 100mm F2.8 macro

[nerd] :D

It may be a female Coenagrion puella - Azure Damselfly - only the male is azure. Or it may not. Here's one of a family get-together, but she's a bit out-of-focus. :)

[/nerd]

bb42.jpg

P.S. Great shots, by the way (yours, I mean). :) I must get a macro lens.....

Sorry to post this in your thread but just seems relative, my daughter took this a good couple of weeks ago now...not perfect but like the colours.

Bejeebus, I try for weeks and you guys come along and post a swarm of them :D

Going back on Friday night to try for the dragonflies again, taking the bike this time though, not doing the hike on foot again

I just got my mountain bike out and gave it a quick service and check over. It's gonna be a culture shock when I get on it, it's been about 18 months or so since I've had my leg over........ it. :D.

Back