Dragonfly

Edit My Images
No
Well after all the great feedback from my last critique posting (thanks very much everyone) I thought I'd give it another go :)

This was taken once again with the Canon 350D and the Tamron 28-75, but this time at Ada Cole Rescue Stables in Essex http://www.adacole.co.uk/
Since the g/f is a horse nut we (read: she) decided for us to take a drive out there one sunny Sunday afternoon.

While we were walking back to the car this little fella buzzed round our heads for a while before landing on some wire fencing beside us. I quickly jumped into stealth mode ( quite amuzing if you could see the size of me :D ) and slowly crept up on him, he let me get pretty close before flying off and the following pic was the result. I probably could've done with a bit more depth of field (I think I was at f/2.8) here, but at least the result is getting some nice bokeh :thumb:

I do like close up/macro photography so a set of tubes or a full macro lens is on the cards at some stage but I'm very happy with what I came up with here considering the Tamron is far from a 1:1 macro lens... let me know what you think!.

p.s. I'm still not sure about the border, it was one of the free preset one's on the Digital Photo Mag cover disc so I thought I'd try it. It's a nice effect but I'm not sure it fits in with the style of pic here, comments?

44777122-L.jpg

That is a spanking shot mate. Especially with a lens of that length. What focal length was the shot taken at?
As for the bokeh, lovely too.
Shame he wasn't facing you, but we can't have everything.

I think the border is a nice effect, and one that may not look right on most shots.
However, I think it really does work well on this one. I hadn't even noticed it consciously until you mentioned it, yet it blended in with the image, and it felt pleasing to sit around the photo in the corner of my eye. :)

Thanks very much Marcel, I am very happy with it considering the lens I had on the camera... it was all the way out at 75mm and I got to about 2-3 feet from him, the picture still needed a substantial crop to get the dragonfly to the size you see here though.

I'm glad you like the border, I do like the effect myself, I just wasn't sure if it was a bit too much for this subject.

Cheers mate :thumb:

As Marcel said - a cracking shot :thumb: but.................................I think the border is awful - and it's pulling my attention away from the photograph. However, the shot is excellent and would stand out whatever border you used.

regards

The border is not bad but the black line around the outside is too thick and overpowering for the subtle colours in the photo. Do a stroke line in the same background colour (white) to go over it and then a single pixel black line to "edge" the photo. Although I think with the alterations the border would be ok here, I think it would suit a different picture (probably scenic/landscape) much better.

As far as the photography goes, wonderful exposure and focus (gotta love the Tamron lens ;) ) but as always with animals/insects we need to see the face or face detail for it to be anything other than a good picture. You have done really well though and if the critta was facing the other way it would be better than good, it would be stunning. :)

I do like that border......so much so though that my eye is drawn to that rather than the subject.

Love the capture of the dragonfly :thumb:

Good shot, boy done well. I'm not convinced that you MUST be able see the front of said animal to make it a great shot. It's well exposed, DoF is only about 1-1 1/2 stops out of getting the whole thing in focus. I like it. Roll on when you get your macro lens!

And the border is fine. Just don't overuse it!

It's a good capture but the border is terrible. :nono:
As said the really interesting part of these beasties is the face but given how nervous they can be sometimes you've got to take what you can get. I'd be well happy with that :)

Ohhhhhh... border controversy :shock: :D I thought it might be a love it or hate it thing.

Yes, I would've loved to get him from the front, as most of you have mentioned it's what makes a really excellent shot but considering he made a run for it after I snapped off a couple of shots I'm very happy with what he let me get, I will be looking for head shots in the future though.

Lol... now what to do with this border!! I'll admit it is growing on me, I just tried printing it out A4 size and it does look pretty good, I did this after taking Steve's advice and removed the black edge.

Thanks for all the feedback so far folks :thumb:

Edited image:-
44769729-L.jpg

I think that is better without the black line around the edge. :thumb:

I think your right Steve... I also cropped a little off the edges to make the border look a little less bulky.

Cracking shot & I like the angle of the rope which aids the composition.

Excellent macro shot with lots of detail on those delicate gossamer wings.
The DOF seems quite reasonable ( f2.8 ? )

When you get your set of tubes or macro lens you'll be looking at f11, or higher, to achieve a good DOF at lifesize.

I'm messing about with a program called Combinez5 which stacks a series of shots, of the same subject, all shot at a different depth of focus. The output is a shot with a DOF much greater than can be achieved with a normal macro lens.

Works well. :woot:

Cameron

Thanks very much for the kind words guys :)

Garnock said:
I'm messing about with a program called Combinez5 which stacks a series of shots, of the same subject, all shot at a different depth of focus. The output is a shot with a DOF much greater than can be achieved with a normal macro lens.

Works well. :woot:

Sounds like a good program, very useful. I was at f/2.8 for my shot, but as you say, when using tubes or a proper macro lens then this program would be great. I'll have a look out for it.

love that, really good! that 28 -75mm is gonna be mine! been too busy this last week though, MUST BUY NOW!

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the link Cameron, I'll give it a look tonight.

Dave - thanks mate, it's definately a marmite border, you either love it or hate it... I'm quite liking it at the moment ;)

EosD... you know you want it :D

Great macro shot Sonsey, Going away from the pack here I like the border and it looks really nice, Even better printed I bet.. :thumb:

I like the border, as I've said, but I love the Marmite name better :D

I am sure that Marmite is one of Satan's creations :angryfire :eek13:

I'm extremely happy this morning, I've just won a years supply of Marmite.........one jar.

Excellent pic, great detail considering. There was a lovely coloured one flying round our garden over the summer every other day for a couple of weeks....must get the pond finished.

Marcel said:
I'm extremely happy this morning, I've just won a years supply of Marmite.........one jar.
Is that a years supply or a life times? :)

Appreciate the comments guys, the border actually looks well when printed, make's the picture stand out nicely :thumb:

...can you believe I've never tried marmite :coat:

SammyC said:
Oooo, marmite, hmmmm, yummy! :)

Tis very nice aint it Sammy...
chef_dominick_bon_appetit_lg_wht.gif

I don't actually like Marmite, but a dollop of it added to gravy goes down very very well.

Back