Droplet collisions

Name
Rhod
Edit My Images
Yes
Well finally got the tubing out again and after reading Ashes tutorial had another go at catching collisions. Suprised myself by catching about 10 in 50 attempts which was a bit better than the 3 in hundreds of attempts I managed last time. Now need to sort out lighting etc. I lit these with a softbox and 430ex at 1/16 power directly behind the splashes. Red water dropped into clear in a 9" paint roller tray. Any more tips would be great!

A big thanks to Ash(y)

Absolutely stunning!

The ripples around the bottom are simply hypnotic, especially the second shot.

Great job!

Nice one!I like them :D

Just make sure the base water is absolutely still between shots (like in the last one) to avoid any ripples in the background at all. I prefer to crop getting the whole of the ripples in, I like the way it shoots out of an otherwise perfectly still flat base water. But yeh these are definitely cool! I like the form in number 3 :)

great shots mate...havent done these for a while!

I was just starting to get everything right to and then some things changed :-(

very nice... crisp clear... nailed it focus wise :)
Im getting the urge to give it a go... just need to get myself a decent macro prime :)

Absolutely stunning!

The ripples around the bottom are simply hypnotic, especially the second shot.

Great job!

Thanks Jack!

Nice one!I like them :D

Just make sure the base water is absolutely still between shots (like in the last one) to avoid any ripples in the background at all. I prefer to crop getting the whole of the ripples in, I like the way it shoots out of an otherwise perfectly still flat base water. But yeh these are definitely cool! I like the form in number 3 :)

Cheers Ash! I agree about the still water I think I'm not catching the first drop yet but it's a damn sight better than my last attempt:LOL: I've had to crop like this to avoid showing the tray, prehaps a larger tray or smaller drops may help. I'm using std aquarium tubing which is about 4mm ID. Do you think narrower bore tube would help:thinking: Def owe you a :beer: for the tutorial!

Great shots!

Thanks!

great shots mate...havent done these for a while!

I was just starting to get everything right to and then some things changed :-(

Thanks Robbo(y) I was the opposite couldn't get the hang of it at all and then everything changed for the better!

very nice... crisp clear... nailed it focus wise :)
Im getting the urge to give it a go... just need to get myself a decent macro prime :)

Thanks! I think Ash shot most of his collisions with the std kit lens so give it a go:)

Cheers Ash! I agree about the still water I think I'm not catching the first drop yet but it's a damn sight better than my last attempt:LOL: I've had to crop like this to avoid showing the tray, prehaps a larger tray or smaller drops may help. I'm using std aquarium tubing which is about 4mm ID. Do you think narrower bore tube would help:thinking: Def owe you a :beer: for the tutorial!

Its definitely a brilliant attempt! They're ace :D

Yeh, the bit about getting the tray in is the most annoying, and constantly ruins otherwise perfect shots. Basically, you obviously want the camera as low as angle as you can get it to get the best reflection in as possible, and it makes the surface water more opaque the lower angle you get.

The tray I use is 42cm from front to back... ie huge. I then can use a really low angle. I measure every time I set up, and make sure my angle is such that I get about 3-4cm higher and lower than where the drop will land - as droplet collisions tend to be about these dimensions, so this accounts for the collision and the reflection.

Hopefully this will make sense: this is the uncropped (and uneditted) version of the one I put up on here a few days ago, with the measurements:

Measurementdetails.jpg

As for the ID, yep, the narrower ones tend to work better. I have just modified my set up and now the ID of the end where the droplets come out is about 1.5mm (it's the cut off end of a syringe, jammed into the normal 3-4mm tubing). With tubing it's about 19 drops per millilitre, with the 1.5mm ID end it's about 25-28 drops per ml: ie smaller drops!

No worries about the tutorial! (y)

Last edited:
Good job! Done a few of these myself and know how difficult it is!
Patience brings the rewards!

Fab set indeed - I tried to capture a drip once at a college lesson - not a one did I snap! I gave in after what seemed like an eternity!!

Back