Dropped my Camera....

Edit My Images
Yes
Yup as title, at this weekends Grand Prix Masters event at Silverstone I managed to drop my 1dmkII camera body with 1.4x TC on, but no lens, it fell about 5 foot onto concrete, bounced down 2 more concrete steps and came to a rest TC down.... I nearly cried.

I was rushing to take the TC off the 300mm lens, I had the lenses strap over my neck and not the camera starp, I unfastened them and held the onto the lens... and watched as the camera fell.

I picked the camera up, removed the TC, which looks fine, I now realise the next thing I did was stupid, I slapped the 300mm on and turned it on.....

I was shocked that it appeared to be working, all bar a few scratches to the body, it didnt look at all damaged, the buttons, the screen the Card door, all seemed perfect.... I tried taking a few shots and this is when I actually started to cry, the shutter button no longer has 2 positions, it simply fires off a shot when pressed, I tried the portrait shutter button and that did the same, I quickly remapped the * button to AF/AE and tried taking shots like that and it worked. I think ive been quite lucky, obviously I will now need to get it and the TC repaired and recalibrated and will be ringing the CPS UK Pro-Repair number tomorrow to try and arrange this.

Overall, im amazed the camera still worked at all, and that the images taken after the accident appear to be perfect is truely astonishing, these cameras seem to be very well built, I know for sure if it had been my old 20D it wouldnt have survived the impact.

Bad luck:crying: , a testament to the build of the thing that it works at all - hopefully it shouldnt be a problem for a Canon centre to fix, although its probably going to cost something - it will be cheaper than a new camera atleast.

Did you have any kind of insurance cover?

Yup, depending on the cost of repair it might have just killed off the 1dsmkII before Christmas plan.

A search should turn up an old thread on POTN where a guy dropped his 1D onto a New York pavement. IIRC, he had to have a complete shutter assembly replacement and I think he cracked the outer plastic prism housing which was also replaced. The repair cost over $500 I seem to recall.

Bad luck btw... that's a real sickener! :(

ouch!

but if it makes you feel better i tried to be a smartarse at the zoo by hopping over a little fence to cut out a bit of a walk, got my foot tangled and went arse over with camera in hand, landed heavily in the bush, managed to keep my camera off the floor but grazed my knee and had a whole lot of people laughing at me...

ok maybe not making you feel better but hey....

I dont feel too down about it tbh, I was in shock for the first few minutes, now im starting to think about the future, if CTs $500 figure is about what it costs im happy, I was expecting it to be much more closer to £800, which would delay the 1dsmkII acquisition, if its only £300 ill be over the moon tbh, also I may use it as an excuse to get the 1dsmkII earlier as I cannot be without a camera too long whilst they repair mine.

matty said:
ok maybe not making you feel better but hey....

Well the chuckle I've just had has made me feel better, thanks :LOL:

:crying: to you though Dreeder.
Hopefully the cost won't be too much.
Any chance you can claim on your house insurance?

I'd wait for the 1Ds until your sure theres not going to be a replacement coming in the next few months.

Hey, it's a Pro-spec camera, it'll be fine. If it isn't, complain...
I've lost count of the horrific bangs and knocks I've subjected mine to over the past ten months... Canon and Nikon built their reputation on their top-end cameras being able to withstand a lot of abuse.

Has anyone who has dealt with getting a repair please help me, im going around in circles here.

I rang the UK Pro repair Centre listed on the Canon CPS site, I gave them all the camera fault details I could, they then ask if Im a CPS member, at which point they tell me I should be ringing a differant priority CPS number, and give me that. I ring this new number to be told im thru to the wrong department, guy gives me another number, this takes me to another wrong CPS department, who give me another number.....GRrrrrr.... which is the same one I rang 30mins previously.

I reluntantly ring this first number again, I give the women my referance number and she then tells me to call the CPS number again, I start to get slightly annoyed and ask her kindly just to give me a ******* address that I can send my busted camera to for repair... finally she does and im happy.... but... am I, because the CPS system is meant to fastrack/prioritize its repairs and it seems that because they have totally retard telephone staff Im not going to be using the CPS system for my repair.

And throughout the whole affair I only speak to one person that I could understand.... all the rest had such an awful foreign accent I asked them to repeat just about every other word.

Cheers SDK^ thats where I got the phone number from and they seemed retarded... best I could get out of them was a list of authorised UK repair agents, so ive fired off a few emails to those, I thought the CPS thingy was meant to get you prioritized repairs etc.

You may have to be a registered canon cps member to use this service.
To qualify for this service you need to have two pro spec bodies (this includes 10d), and three L series lenses (50mm 1.8 and TC's are included).

If your not registered and have the above, sign up.

My 100-400 was returned to me within 3 days.

I am registered, sorry I didnt make that clear in my post.
Nice turnaround time on the 100-400, what did you have them do to it if you dont mind me asking.

Nikon Pro Services do a similar thing - usually same day turnaround for minor stuff like sensor cleaning and general de-gunging...
Repairs at the whim of the spares dept. but usually pretty quick - if they can't do it right then and there, you get a loan item to tide you over.

Sent my Camera on Thursday to H. Lehmann, got an estimate today of £230 for the checking, repair and calibration of both camera and extender, this includes a new shutter mechanism. Im very happy with this price and will hopefully have my camera back next week.

thats not *too* bad, hope it all works fine on return!

Back