DSLR or high end compact???

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

My crappy lumix compact camera has just packed in and I want to get a replacement which will help me extend my creativity and give me lots of versitility as I anticipate that I will get into photography quite quickly and enthusiastically when I have equipment which will let me capture moments more reliably.

I am hopeful of becoming a wildlife photographer as I am a student of zoology and this would broaden my horizons and bring together 2 passions.

I am currently trying to decide whether to go for another high end compact, such as the Canon G10, or go straight into the SLR realms.

From what I understand, the G10 and other similar models allow greater flexibility and control than even some of the low end SLR's, but lack in versitility, with less add ons and lenses availible as it is after all, only a compact.I can see that this camera would be much easier to travel with and is cheaper to get underwater housing for. However it is quite costly for a compact. What do people think of this camera? Would it be right for wildlife photopraphy/for travel.

Alternatively an SLR would give me much more versitility and most would match and extend upon the top level compact cameras -such as the G10's- flexibility with greater control over parameters and functions. It would allow greater specification upon certain aspects of phototography with many more accesories availible on the market. I have been advised that the big names are the Nikon and Canons however I would not know which models to look at first.

I am willing to spend between £200 - £600 for a camera.

Can anyone advise me on what might suit me best and name a model you would say I should go and check out?

Any advise would be extremely appreciated!

Mike

Hi Mike :welcome: to TP :wave:

The G10 is a great wee camera, but if you're looking to do wildlife photography at some point you're going to need a dslr and decent glass, so you'd probably be as well biting the bullet and getting one at this point.

As to which to buy, that's tricky one, the usual advice is to go to somewhere like Jessops and try all the different cameras and find out which you feel most comfortable to use. If you're going to be investing in expensive glass at some point you need to make sure you've picked a system that has the appropriate lenses in it, which usually means Nikon or Canon.

Can only agree with the above, a compact is great for chucking in a pocket but you need an SLR if you want to get into areas like wildlife photography.

I have a feeling that if you buy the G10 you will only want a DSLR in the near future, especially if you want to take pictures of wildlife and get creative.

you get an SLR, theres a few great packages.
nikon d40-£250
nikon d60-£350
sony a200-£280
sony a300-£370
canon 1000D-£300
canon 450D-£490
olympus e420-£350
olympus e520-£500

its best to get a twin lens kit which means you have to add another £100 to the price. also sorry to anyone for not listing pentax i just dont know the price of them.

You need to ask yourself, how important is portability? Only grab a compact if portability is the greatest importance to yourself! Then again, the G10 can't really be slipped into your jeans pocket, so not the most portable of compact cameras itself! I would definitely get an SLR, the smallest ones will be only a little more difficult to 'travel' with than the G10 (think Nikon D40 etc.), and allow you to upgrade it's capabilities with new lenses without buying a new body. The g10 will not be as good for willdife either, you'll need fast lenses with lots of reach or high iso performance, neither which the G10 can really provide...

I would say slr, as you will need a lot of reach for wildlife, maybe try and get a two lens set up to start like a 18-55 and a 70-300

For the budget, if wildlife is important, Canon 400D (£200 - £250??) + 18-55mm non-IS (£30) + 70-300mm IS (£300). All prices secondhand.

Back