DSLR or Mobile -

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
So as part of my job as system administrator/business development; I also take an occasional product photo. Or do videography over Christmas as we do competitions so I take care of this.

Anyways, i've been tasked to take some videos, (i've not been told what of yet) but i think it's fitting videos for PVC panelling which go in a bathroom...

What would you guys personally use?

Samsung Galaxy S21 -upto 8k recording if needs be.

D7200 - records at 1920 x 1080

Obviously the S21 is easy to start/stop/stabilise/control settings as it has a pro mode higher quality video

The d7200 has the option of variable lenses and I can easily shot it on a tripod... although I will continuously have to adjust focus.

A bigger concern would be sound quality, in some respects sound is more important than video quality.
I think with the nature of the video, i'm hoping to be able to leave sound afterwards, or possibly get a voiceover on it for each step. So it's not a noisy installation tutorial.

Personally I never pick my phone over my camera for video work (eos R).

I would say that the lighting and sound are definitely important from a technical point of view and will improve the video whatever you use to capture it, phone or DSLR.

The narrative and flow will be the make or break of people watching it. An interesting and informative video at the right pace will definitely be more of a success over a professionally lit and recorded with the latest tech but a boring and slow video!

Either way you will need appropriate stabiliser gimbal. If the lights are even moderately dim and dynamic range high then phone is not even a consideration. But you could also do better than d7200 unless you have no other choice for whatever reason. Most now support 4k in some form.
Sound can be done externally to a recording device or even decent mic to a phone is still better option but probably this is not needed at all if there is no dialogue

But you could also do better than d7200 unless you have no other choice for whatever reason.

The D7200 is my own camera... I only personally use this for photography, so video has never been an issue for me, it's just when it comes to these occasional videos I would end up using it.

Work has a D3500; but I'm much more efficient at navigating around my own body; I think this has the same sensor as the 7200 actually so i'd imagine it's still 1080p recording.

If the lighting is good you will probably be OK with the phone. If the lighting is poor the D7200 will probably have the edge providing you have access to some large aperture f/2.8 or better lenses. If you are using kit lenses with small apertures the difference in poor light between the phone and the DSLR will be less.

The other thing to consider is the type of shot, if you are doing a lot of panning and tilting the DSLR may not have a high enough data rate to deal with the movement and you could get a very low quality image as a result.

The D7200 is my own camera... I only personally use this for photography, so video has never been an issue for me, it's just when it comes to these occasional videos I would end up using it.

Work has a D3500; but I'm much more efficient at navigating around my own body; I think this has the same sensor as the 7200 actually so i'd imagine it's still 1080p recording.

OK, FHD is just about still OK as long the output is sharpish. The big question whether it supports autofocus during video, or if you can work around it cleanly enough.

If the lighting is good you will probably be OK with the phone. If the lighting is poor the D7200 will probably have the edge providing you have access to some large aperture f/2.8 or better lenses. If you are using kit lenses with small apertures the difference in poor light between the phone and the DSLR will be less.

The other thing to consider is the type of shot, if you are doing a lot of panning and tilting the DSLR may not have a high enough data rate to deal with the movement and you could get a very low quality image as a result.

I'll be using the sigma 17-50mm f2.8 to shoot on, or the 35mm f1.8... (proably the 35mm now i've typed this..., zooming a lens, changing focus and composing is always a bit too much for my head to take in to be honest) - Panning/tilting should be kept to a minimum I hope, as this will be an installation video;

I'm hoping to try to break it down into sections, tools/materials needed... This may be a slow paced panning shot. or possibly a still layflat image with annotations over in post.

Then i'm thinking of asking my installer to give me a nice closeup of a panel getting cut (3 different ways it can be cut)

Then a close up of the 3x different fixing methods you can use for these panels.

Then a timelapse of the panels getting fitted... i'll ask my installer to do all of the cuts off camera where possible so I can hopefully have an end result of her walking into scene, slotting the panel in, fixing it (should take 10 seconds per panel so i should be able to speed this up mid way to show a nice transition of them all getting put in... (I'll edit the parts out where she's cutting etc) As the initial section of the cuts covers this aspect.

the final part would require the close up panning which will be silicone sealing... but again, should be slow paced.

OK, FHD is just about still OK as long the output is sharpish. The big question whether it supports autofocus during video, or if you can work around it cleanly enough.

It does support AF during video, however the D7200 doesn't have dual pixel focusing. So it's not as fast as i'd like to focus, sometimes it just shift forward and back..
When I used this previously for videos i shot on the 35mm f1.8 and used a marker on the focus ring to rack the focus between set points which worked quite well...

Did I understand you haven't really used the Nikon for video, it can do it but probably about as unhandy as my old 5Dii was.
The phone is almost certainly going to be better at least half the time anyway, and the SLR could mess up almost very scene if not careful.
The focusing in relatively low light indoors will be the major issue.

Did I understand you haven't really used the Nikon for video, it can do it but probably about as unhandy as my old 5Dii was.
The phone is almost certainly going to be better at least half the time anyway, and the SLR could mess up almost very scene if not careful.
The focusing in relatively low light indoors will be the major issue.
I've used it to shoot 12 x 3 minute videos last year...
and that's really about it to be honest.

As soon as i find my full brief i'll explore both options and see how each device works as the phone might be surprisingly good.

I've used it to shoot 12 x 3 minute videos last year...
and that's really about it to be honest.

As soon as i find my full brief i'll explore both options and see how each device works as the phone might be surprisingly good.
The benefits of the phone over your DSLR is the ability to shoot in 4k or 8k and pan/zoom in post, meaning you can have it static when recording. Just make sure you have loads of light!

I don't know the D7200 but it looks like an older model? I'd probably go with the Samsung as I've had three recent assignments shooting alongside a video team who were using smartphones, I think the Samsung Galaxy but not 100% sure, and their results were good.

Back