DSLR Video - Editing without re-encoding

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Have some video from my D7000 that I want to edit, but without doing any re-encoding but just splicing bits. Is this how most conventional video editors work? I searched but didn't come to a conclusive answer.

Very lost from my normal film & conventional!

You mean cut and paste parts of the video together? i think you can do that with Quicktime Pro. Sony Vegas i heard is better if you can find a copy
If you want to them upload it to YouTube i use a free programme called Handbreak to convert it next

Most edit software has to do some transcoding. Your camera will have shot in H264, which is known as a delivery format - in basic terms it compresses by looking at the changes in picture, which means you can't cut it easily. Transcoding into pro res or an equivalent, gives independent frames which can easily be cut. Some edit software, such as FCPX will do this for you.

The reason why I wanted to was mostly because I'm not sure I can wait all day for my i3 to do the video - although it is only short clips, so maybe I'll just have to. The last time I messed around with any video was in the days of XviD and virtualdubmod, so I'm a bit lost these days on it. I'll look at the software recommendations, thanks.

I ended up using Premiere Elements, nice bit of software. Wasn't too much hassle re-encoding to 720p AVCHD.

Back