DSLRs and rain...?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
So, i'm at the point of learning now where i really need to be out and about taking photos, which i love. However, the weather seems to be very against me recently and many days i've planned to go out have been stopped by the English weather. :bang:
So, i wanted to know, would i do any damage to my camera if i were to take it out in the rain? I have no problems with getting myself wet and think the rain would make for some nice pictures, but don't want to risk braking my camera :thumbsdown:. So how much rain can my DSLR take, if any? :shrug:

I wouldnt take it out in the rain... i have a "jacket" for mine that goes over even the apo 170 - 500mm.
I got it from a guy that makes them on here but I cant remember who.. sorry.

Mine regulary gets totally soaked, i've heard a lot of people having issues but i've never noticed much just the occasional electrical gremlin. The only perminate issue i've ever spotted is my jump button no longer works!

I just use mine in the rain making sure I keep the front of the lens clear of water, but not too sure about consumer cameras.

unless you have a pro body and lens which is rated weather sealed id get a cover. otherwise you run the risk of breakage and/or mould.

ive got a storm jacket, available in different colours and sizes.

Hmmm...now i'm not sure. I have taken it out in the snow a while back, and got some really nice shots, just not sure about the rain - especially with it's tendancy to become heavy very quickly. I might give it a try if it's only spitting, as for heavy rain i'll just have to take photos of my desk :D

I ahve had two mark2s and now have 2 mark3s .. i put canon L lenses on them and its all supposed to be OK in the rain.. but what i find best to do.. when it rains is to... COVER THEM UP!!!! jeeeeze 12 thousand pounds of gear in my hands and am gonna risk letting them get rain on/in them when it only costs a few quid for covers ???

Why risk it. :)

I always try to keep mine dry but there have been occasions when I've been caught out. Last year it took a soaking at a polo tournament when the heavens opened and at another tournament one of the players sprayed champagne straight at me from about 5 feet away. Camera was fine every time. (y)

Got mine covered in flying cheap fizz w/e before last, and it was fine too. Why do cyclists think they're F1 racing drivers??? However, cleaning the UV filter was harder than the body and lens. Greowl...

Got mine covered in flying cheap fizz w/e before last, and it was fine too. Why do cyclists think they're F1 racing drivers??? However, cleaning the UV filter was harder than the body and lens. Greowl...

Now I'm glad you said that. When my lens was covered in champagne it didn't have a filter on and it cleaned up nice and easy, but when a horse sprayed saliva all over a lens with a filter, the filter was a bugger to clean! :bang:

the rain cover certainly helps... managed to keep my old 30D going for nearly a whole day of ****ing rain before I started to get error99's

I cover mine with a plastic bag which I've made to fit.

I was shooting at the weekend in very hard rain and noticed once when I was looking at at the screen a large white mark, which slowly shrank then dissipated. I guess a damp drop behind the LCD screen cover that evaporated when the screen was on. All seems fine at the moment.

thousands of pounds worth of equipment and you protect it with a plastic bag.... beggers belief really :)

thousands of pounds worth of equipment and you protect it with a plastic bag.... beggers belief really :)

I don't believe in spending unnecessary money, if it does the job for free why buy one :) used my bag lots of times, and doubt another type will keep my camera any safer, it would just look better.

DSCF0831.jpg

DSCF0832.jpg

I use both, for thousands of pounds of equipment, depending on which lenses I am using and frankly BOTH are equally effective. Use a freezer bag [not a tescos carrier bag] fastened round the lens hood with an elasic band and it works just as well as the proper rain covers I have for my longer lenses. ;) The camera is weather sealed, so I worry less about that anyay, and even my 2nd body, which officially isn't, does take quite a bit of rain, but the Sigma lenses aren't and I am happy to admit that I am not prepared to take to much of a risk with them, especially the 120-300.

I did buy a couple of those Optech rain covers at Focus as they were only a fiver for a pack of 2, but I haven't had to use them yet so not sure how effective they are.

Back