Dunnok

JDP

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Posted this in one of my other threads but it think that has gone dead.

I'd love peoples view on this picture! :)

165517_10150397994400223_750890222_16884993_5112348_n.jpg

Birdie.jpg

Might have worked better James if the bird was looking towards the viewer, focus looks soft on the eye and the watermark does nothing to help either imo. Also trying to keep your shutter speed faster than the focal length used, would be a good starting point to obtain sharper shots James.

Last edited:
Might have worked better James if the bird was looking towards the viewer, focus looks soft on the eye and the watermark does nothing to help either imo. Also trying to keep your shutter speed faster than the focal length used, would be a good starting point to obtain sharper shots James.

Okay cheers bud for that!.. Yeah i was completely in the wrong possition... Ill have another fiddle in photoshop/lightroom to sharpen the image, next time i will try get pin sharp focus!
Okay thanks for that! will defiantly remember that next time!

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated... I think my bird photograph is getting better slowly! lol (y)

Okay cheers bud for that!.. Yeah i was completely in the wrong possition... Ill have another fiddle in photoshop/lightroom to sharpen the image, next time i will try get pin sharp focus!
Okay thanks for that! will defiantly remember that next time!

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated... I think my bird photograph is getting better slowly! lol (y)

It will definately improve with practice James (y) The exposure on this one is good so you got no probs there. Your shutter speed is top priority really. Only you know your camera so if light is bad then push the ISO up as far as you dare. Opening the aperture up is fine to give you a faster shutter, but depending on the subject distance from you and the focal length you are using, the amount of depth of field you have to play with will be very tight. You can see from the Dunnock shot that the top of the head is as good as in focus. Notice how the beak is oof, and from the bottom of the birds neck to the tail is oof. My only other small tips for what it is worth would be, make sure you are in a comfortable position with either a bean bag or tripod as support. When you get a subject in view try to avoid putting your eye right tight on the veiwfinder, you should still be able to see your subject and the focus spot.

If the camera is mounted on a tripod then have it adjusted so you do not need too much force to manouver it in any direction. I tend to hold the small arm on my tripod with just my two fingers and thumb, it should act as an extention to your arm really. I will hold the other side of my camera as light as I can and squeeze the shutter with as gentle a pressure as possible. Practice breathing in and holding your breath for a short while, a few seconds should be all that is needed before taking the shot/shots. Most people can easily do that for a minute and most birds dont hang around that long anyway. Hope this is of some help to you.

Last edited:
It will definately improve with practice James (y) The exposure on this one is good so you got no probs there. Your shutter speed is top priority really. Only you know your camera so if light is bad then push the ISO up as far as you dare. Opening the aperture up is fine to give you a faster shutter, but depending on the subject distance from you and the focal length you are using, the amount of depth of field you have to play with will be very tight. You can see from the Dunnock shot that the top of the head is as good as in focus. Notice how the beak is oof, and from the bottom of the birds neck to the tail is oof. My only other small tips for what it is worth would be, make sure you are in a comfortable position with either a bean bag or tripod as support. When you get a subject in view try to avoid putting your eye right tight on the veiwfinder, you should still be able to see your subject and the focus spot.

Awesome!.. Good things come to thoes who wait, and practice. Thanks.. Yeah i find that the hardest thing to get correct. Will do mate. Yeah that's true... least i got a sharpish eye for once! ;) haha.
Okay thanks for that, im in the process of buying a bean-bag. (y)

If the camera is mounted on a tripod then have it adjusted so you do not need too much force to manouver it in any direction. I tend to hold the small arm on my tripod with just my two fingers and thumb, it should act as an extention to your arm really. I will hold the other side of my camera as light as I can and squeeze the shutter with as gentle a pressure as possible. Practice breathing in and holding your breath for a short while, a few seconds should be all that is needed before taking the shot/shots. Most people can easily do that for a minute and most birds dont hang around that long anyway. Hope this is of some help to you.

Okay cool, i was worried about how you can manouver quickly with the tripod. cool thanks for that will deff give that a go next time im out.. :) yeahhh good point, i dive as well so i can hold my breath (even though your not ment too) quite well.
Every little bit of advice is so useful to me, thanks again! If this site gave out rep you'd have so much from me! (y)

Back