Durham Cathedral

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Out and about round Durham today, the weather was lovely (for a change) and I got a bag full of shots. Tried a bit of everything, including candid street stuff, managed quite well considering and didn't feel wierd at all. Lots to process but here's one for now with others to follow (hopefully).

durhamcathedral18ti.jpg

durhamcathedral9du.jpg

TFL.
Ken.

Very nice, did you use a filter for the sky?

Lovely shot Ken.....where's the door knocker? :D I know the shot is straight but it's a shame that the perspective creates the impression that the far bank is a bit off. Any more?

regards

Glen, thanks and yes I used a cp filter.
Stepheno, Know what you mean noticed that after uploading :doh:
Got the knocker and many others too, you'll have to give me a couple of days to sort through them though.
Cheers.
Ken.

Ken
Have to say thats one of the best I've seen from you..... wish I had taken that. :thumb:

Lovely ken

i used to sit on the river bank and get lashed in the summer. Lovely, really well presented too

Ah my hometown for 8 months of the year.
Excellent shot that. I have a few rolls of film to get developed of the same subject, I only hope my results are as good.

Col.

:thumb: Like it.........was up there myself last year when I visited Barnard Castle.

Thanks for the comments guys, I did process this in a hurry last night and have since had another go....Levelling the water line on the bank, brought some more detail out in the waters blown parts and reduced the redness overall. I also noticed a halo over the tree line far left of pic and managed to process again without that, the sky I think is a more realistic colour, although it may need de-saturated slightly? I also burned some of the detail on the Cathedral itself and used Picture Cooler for NR.
I have left the first attempt up and any comments on my second in comparison would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Ken.

the clouds look different in the second Ken, sort of blurry compared with the first. The additional detail is really well done, your processing is just in a class of it's own :)

dod said:
the clouds look different in the second Ken, sort of blurry compared with the first.
Yes I noticed that too! Beats me why? Would burning them help? Any suggestions anyone.

I liked the first shot and agreed with the comments that the others had already posted, however the second shot is far better, the colours more natural and realistic and instead of it looking like a processed shot it now looks like a well photographed scene.

I think the colour of the sky in the second shot is better and more realistic however the blurred clouds don't sit as well for me personally. I don't know why they have come out like that and I don't think that burning them will have any major difference. Its the 3D feel, pop and sharpness of the buliding and rest of the scene that is contrasting with the slightly blurred sky in the second shot comparred to the first that is just not quite right for me.

Maybe a third reprocessing attempt to get the best from the first two will leave you with an absolute cracker that pleases everyone?

Thanks Steve, really not sure why the clouds look so different but thought of two possibilities....with the sky being darker in the first making the clouds stand out more and or using noise reduction software?? as it was not used in the first image. Just a thought.
I have printed this out A3 (Oh yeh, I've SOME new toys to tell you about) and it looks great (apart from the blurry clouds). So I'm quite happy and can't wait to see the rest of the pics from the same day.
Thanks again for the comments.... Matty, I think I found your empties!

both cracking shots ken, agreed that the clouds are a bit odd in the second, but hey i like it anyway :)

Excellent - ready for the postcard and calandar market? Could the perspective of the tower on the right be straightened or is it my bifocals again!

second one is much better, i really like it!

Ken i hope its only the empty bottles you found and nothing to o with entertaining the ladies....

Fangman said:
Could the perspective of the tower on the right be straightened
Only if you fancy the job of rebuilding it.;)

Matty said:
Ken i hope its only the empty bottles you found and nothing to o with entertaining the ladies....
No I didn't find any soft lights or music.:D

Thanks again for the comments.
Ken.

I prefer the 2nd shot Ken. Do we get to hear about these new toys then? :whistle2:

KenCo1964 said:
No I didn't find any soft lights or music.:D

lol! Nice quip :D

Steve said:
You need to be registered to view...what am I missing? :sadcry:

Well this is straight from the site in question..;)

Not as good by no means but the guy must have taken the shot in the same place as Ken took his..:embarasse

durham.jpg

Thanks for that busterboy :)

It goes to show how good Ken's images really are. Miles apart :smilenod:

Steve said:
Thanks for that busterboy :)

It goes to show how good Ken's images really are. Miles apart :smilenod:

Totally agree, Ken has some superb pics posted just lately..:)

Hard to believe he got that much foreground water in his shot, must have been hanging over the railings or wading!

Back