DVD Burning Problem

Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a NEC ND 4550A DVD RW running under Windows XP. I've just tried to burn a DVD copy of The Reader using DVD Fab Platinum V3 (I own the DVD & was trying to make a copy for my laptop - so not strictly legal but I'd rather lose a burnt copy than the original disc) & have managed to make 3 coasters of my Ridisc DVD's. The error code is 116 & my initial search seems to identify the cause by people updating software but removing a shared element form the earlier version. Unfortunately I haven't done this.

Never had this occur before & I can still burn CD's successfully. Is there a piece of software I can test my DVD writer or is this just the anti piracy kicking in on this disc ?

TIA

Well I use DVDFab and burn with Nero, and have never had a problem.

Although I have tried other burning software most just can't compare with Nero.

You won't have a problem with copyright protection as DVDFab removes it, like most other rippers, in fact it appears to be the only one to have defeated the latest Sony protection.

I've never heard of Ridisc,but the only DVD blanks I use are DataWrite, as I have tried cheaper makes and they just don't seem to last.

I also use Phillips DVD re-writable and they are also extremely good.

I tink the motto with DVD blanks is to just use well known brands.

You could try "ImgBurn" its a free burning program ,and very good as well.

How old is it?

My NEC drive started it's death a little while back when it was about 3 years old, think mine was the 4650.

Since DVD writers have been sub £30 their lifetime seems to have shortened a fair bit.

How old is it?

My NEC drive started it's death a little while back when it was about 3 years old, think mine was the 4650.

Since DVD writers have been sub £30 their lifetime seems to have shortened a fair bit.

It's about 3 years old - so may be on the way out. Is there any software out there to test the drive or more likely I'll have to stump up for a new drive

If you own the original copy of a DVD or CD, you are allowed to copy it for your own personal backup. ;)

I use AnyDVD & CloneDVD2.

Cheers..,

Not if you have to bypass any sort of copy protection procedure to do so, which you almost certainly will if it is a retail DVD video.

edit - in fact, in England and Wales i'm not sure you actually have any right to backup anything beyond software, however the law gets a little grey regards fair use and it isn't something that's been tested in court yet due to copyright infringement being a civil issue and not a criminal one (ie. the original owner would have to take action and no company is going to be able to even know you've made yourself another disc of a movie)

Not if you have to bypass any sort of copy protection procedure to do so, which you almost certainly will if it is a retail DVD video.

edit - in fact, in England and Wales i'm not sure you actually have any right to backup anything beyond software, however the law gets a little grey regards fair use and it isn't something that's been tested in court yet due to copyright infringement being a civil issue and not a criminal one (ie. the original owner would have to take action and no company is going to be able to even know you've made yourself another disc of a movie)

In the US the answer at the moment is, No, under no circumstances can copies be made even if you own the original copy but this is still been tackled in regards to 'Fair-Use'. See here.

In the UK however, '(the last bastion of common sense)', the law is different, see here.

I would highlight the section headed [When is someone infringing my copyright?] and then look in the paragrapgh:-

The main exceptions are:

Temporary copies – there is no copyright infringement where a person makes a temporary copy of a copyright work as an integral and essential part of a technological process, the sole purpose of which is to enable transmission of the work in a network or a lawful use of the work and which has no independent economic significance (e.g. where work is cached in a computer). This exception does not apply to computer programs or databases.

Granted this is a grey area though. :)

To update - I managed to find a RW DVD & managed to burn a copy in Nero, which worked :).

I then attempted the same thing with a normal DVD & the burn failed . I'm surprised if it's the brand as I've not had any problems previously but this is possible I suppose :thinking:

I have the Nero burn log if anyone can help interpret - or is this the early signs of a drive failure.

I'll see if I've got any other brands of DVD at home to try but any other suggestions welcomed

A backup isn't a temporary copy (as mentioned there, like a cache would be, such as when a DVD is loaded into RAM for example) though. I'm not aware of any specific exception under UK law allowing personal backups.

The full act is here. I'm looking through it at the moment and i've not found anything related to personal backup yet under the 'permitted uses' section.

edit - there is an explicit exception made for software backups however:

Computer programs: lawful users 39
50A Back up copies
(1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a lawful user of a copy of a
computer program to make any back up copy of it which it is necessary for
him to have for the purposes of his lawful use.
(2) For the purposes of this section and sections 50B, 50BA and 50C a person
is a lawful user of a computer program if (whether under a licence to do
any acts restricted by the copyright in the program or otherwise), he has a
right to use the program.
(3) Where an act is permitted under this section, it is irrelevant whether or not
there exists any term or condition in an agreement which purports to
prohibit or restrict the act (such terms being, by virtue of section 296A,
void).

edit 2 - I'm going to stand by my original assumption, having looked through the exceptions section of the act, that under UK law you have no legal right to make a personal use backup of anything other than computer software.

Back